Write the state of the system after r photons leave the |nϕ> state

In summary: This results in a factor of ##(\hat{a_\phi}^\dagger)^{-1}## in front.Combining both cases, we have the following state after ##r## photons have been removed:$$|n\phi>_r=N_r(\hat{a_1}^\dagger)^{n-r} \hat{a_\phi}^\dagger(\hat{a_\phi}^\dagger)^{-r}|0>$$where ##N_r## is the normalization constant.In summary, the state of the system after ##r## photons have been removed from the ##|n\phi>## state can be written as:$$|
Malamala

Homework Statement

(Note: this is the last part of a longer problem, so I hope I won't miss anything important)

We have a laser with 2 energy levels, so the emitted photons will have the energy ##\omega##. For this given energy there are ##m## states in which the photon can be, denoted ##|\psi_i>##. Assume we have ##n## photons in state ##|\psi_1>## and one more in the state ##|\phi>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{m}}(|\psi_1>+|\psi_2>+...+|\psi_m>)## and denote the state as ##|n\phi>##. From a previous part, this can be written as $$|n\phi>=\sqrt{\frac{m}{(m+n)(n+1)}}(|11..1\phi>+|11..1\phi1>+...|\phi1..1>)$$ where, for example ##|11..1\phi>## stands for ##|\psi_1>|\psi_1>...|\psi_1>|\phi>## and the above wave function is normalized and symmetrized (for bosons). Now for the last part we are asked to write the state of the system after ##r## photons leave the ##|n\phi>## state.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll try to do it for a simpler case (which should be easily generalized). So for n=3 we have $$|3\phi>=N(|111\phi>+|11\phi1>+|1\phi11>+|\phi111>)$$ where N is a normalization. If we remove a photon, this can be the ##|\psi_1>## or the ##|\phi>## So after one removal the state would be a liner combination of these 2 possibilities, something like: $$N_1(|11\phi>+|1\phi1>+|\phi11>+|111>)$$ After one more, you get $$N_2(|1\phi>+|\phi1>+|11>)$$ after one more: $$N_3(|\phi>+|1>)$$ And of course this can be generalized for arbitrary ##n## and ##r##. But I am not sure if my logic is correct. I am mainly confused about the fact that ##|\phi>## is not an eigenstate of this system, but a linear combination, so if you would think in terms of annihilation operators I am not sure how you would write this removal. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. Your approach seems to be on the right track. Let's break it down step by step.

First, we have the state ##|n\phi>##, which is a combination of ##n## photons in state ##|\psi_1>## and one photon in state ##|\phi>##. As you correctly pointed out, this state is not an eigenstate of the system, but a linear combination. In terms of annihilation operators, we can write this state as follows:

$$|n\phi>=\sqrt{\frac{m}{(m+n)(n+1)}}(\hat{a_1}^\dagger)^n \hat{a_\phi}^\dagger|0>$$

Here, ##\hat{a_i}^\dagger## represents the creation operator for state ##|\psi_i>## and ##\hat{a_\phi}^\dagger## represents the creation operator for state ##|\phi>##. The factor in front is the normalization constant.

Next, we want to remove ##r## photons from this state. As you correctly pointed out, there are two possibilities - either we remove a photon from the ##|\psi_1>## state or from the ##|\phi>## state. Let's consider each case separately.

Case 1: Removing a photon from the ##|\psi_1>## state

In this case, we can write the state after removal as follows:

$$|n\phi>_1=\sqrt{\frac{m}{(m+n)(n+1)}}(\hat{a_1}^\dagger)^{n-1} \hat{a_\phi}^\dagger|0>$$

Here, we have simply removed one creation operator for state ##|\psi_1>##. The factor in front remains the same.

Case 2: Removing a photon from the ##|\phi>## state

In this case, we can write the state after removal as follows:

$$|n\phi>_2=\sqrt{\frac{m}{(m+n)(n+1)}}(\hat{a_1}^\dagger)^n \hat{a_\phi}^\dagger(\hat{a_\phi}^\dagger)^{-1}|0>$$

Here, we have removed one creation operator for state ##|\phi>## and added one

Related to Write the state of the system after r photons leave the |nϕ> state

1. What does the |nϕ> state refer to in this context?

The |nϕ> state refers to a quantum state in which the system has n photons in the state ϕ. This can also be thought of as a superposition of states, where n is the number of photons and ϕ is the phase of the state.

2. What is the significance of r photons leaving the system?

R photons leaving the system represents a change in the state of the system. This could be due to absorption, emission, or scattering of photons, and can result in a change in the energy, momentum, or polarization of the system.

3. How does the state of the system change after r photons leave?

The state of the system after r photons leave will depend on the specific properties of the photons and the system itself. In general, the state will be a superposition of states with different photon numbers and phases, and the amplitudes of these states will depend on the interaction between the photons and the system.

4. Can the state of the system be accurately predicted after r photons leave?

Due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, it is not possible to accurately predict the state of the system after r photons leave. However, the probabilities of different states can be calculated using the appropriate mathematical equations and experimental data.

5. How is the state of the system after r photons leave measured or observed?

The state of the system after r photons leave can be measured through various forms of quantum measurement, such as photon counting or polarization measurements. These measurements can provide information about the state of the system and the interaction between the photons and the system.