Is Write Me a Unique American Linguistic Feature?

• News
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
In summary: It just doesn't sound right. And I'm sure it is not slang. It is how they're actually taught to speak/word things.Here in the Great White North we are not fazed by "write me".Yeah, "write me" sounds to me just a normal as "call me" write me a poemsing me a songcall me, wheneverpass me the bong.As a long form, "Write me!" can be told as "Dear readers, please write a note to me." The chief verb is "write"; the direct object is "a note", and the indirect object is "me".Thanks for taking the time
pinball1970
Gold Member
A thread from another poster had a quick discussion and the phrase, 'write him' was used rather than 'write TO him.'

I have noticed this before in US TV shows and always wondered why the 'to' is dropped.

Is this just an American thing? Is writing 'to' someone or something known to be correct and dropping the 'to' is just a quirk?

Replies will be appreciated from from US guys, English as a second language guys as well as any Brits who also find it odd.

Science news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
as well as any Brits who also find it odd.
Particularly those "in hospital?"

• Haha
Likes phinds and berkeman
Bystander said:
Particularly those "in hospital?"
I know it's not a concern of tectonic proportions. I did use the word 'quirk.'
You have also somehow just reminded of when I first heard this and questioned it.
'Why don't you write me.' Simon and Garfunkel. I think I asked my mum why they left the 'to' out.
It concerned me.

"me" as used in "Write me!" is taking the role of INDIRECT OBJECT, and the helpful preposition, "to" can be implied and understood, but maybe not easily in everybody.

symbolipoint said:
"me" as used in "Write me!" is taking the role of INDIRECT OBJECT, and the helpful preposition, "to" can be implied and understood, but maybe not easily in everybody.
As a longer form, "Write me!" can be told as "Dear readers, please write a note to me." The chief verb is "write"; the direct object is "a note", and the indirect object is "me".

Likes Infrared and pinball1970
symbolipoint said:
As a longer form, "Write me!" can be told as "Dear readers, please write a note to me." The chief verb is "write"; the direct object is "a note", and the indirect object is "me".
Thanks for taking the time.

pinball1970 said:
A thread from another poster had a quick discussion and the phrase, 'write him' was used rather than 'write TO him.'

Yeah, like the common "Call to me!" :wink:

1652026136406.png

https://www.canstockphoto.com/mature-man-making-call-me-gesture-sign-87032871.html

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913, phinds, hutchphd and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Beat me to it, @berkeman

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Can you imagine a certain song as "Call to me maybe"?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
What puzzles me is I see British people writing 'Here I am sat watching ...'. Shouldn't it be 'Here I am sitting watching ...'?

British "English" has its own weirdnesses. For example "in an hour's time" ... as opposed to what? "in an hour's length" ?

Likes dextercioby
StevieTNZ said:
What puzzles me is I see British people writing 'Here I am sat watching ...'. Shouldn't it be 'Here I am sitting watching ...'?
Interesting difference of usage. The wording seems strange but to them, it is a way they may normally say such things. If someone is "sat", then he is "seated". USA people might say, "Here I am seated, watching". I put in the comma to help with clarity.

phinds said:
British "English" has its own weirdnesses. For example "in an hour's time" ... as opposed to what? "in an hour's length" ?
An hour from 1.52pm (NZ's current time).

Another example of "sat": "Now I am sat at home with this ..."

It just doesn't sound right. And I'm sure it is not slang. It is how they're actually taught to speak/word things.

Here in the Great White North we are not fazed by "write me".

Yeah, "write me" sounds to me just a normal as "call me"

write me a poem
sing me a song
call me, whenever
pass me the bong.

• Haha
Likes gmax137 and symbolipoint
phinds said:
Yeah, "write me" sounds to me just a normal as "call me"
Looking into the grammar,Write me = Write a note to me.
"a note" is the direct object.
"me" or if you prefer, "to me" is the indirect object.

Call me = Call me!
I feel I'm picking rightly if I say, "me" is the direct object; this could be debatable.

StevieTNZ said:
Another example of "sat": "Now I am sat at home with this ..."

It just doesn't sound right.
So you are saying that it just doesn't sat right with you? :wink:

• Haha
Likes Oldman too, BillTre and phinds
phinds said:
How about "At the present time, ..."

That's just blather. I would instead say, "Now, ..."

gmax137 said:

"At the present time" is just someone trying to sound official/important. It is hardly limited to anyone English speaking country.

"In an hour" vs "in an hour's time" however, is clearly American vs British English.

Likes dextercioby and gmax137
berkeman said:
So you are saying that it just doesn't sat right with you? :wink:

gmax137 said:

This has to be just another example of evolution?

“Write me” is strange to me, normal to Dave Phinds and other guys across the pond

There was another thread on American/English spelling and they may have mentioned word substitution and spelling too.

Faucet = tap

Trunk= Boot

Diaper= nappy

Tune – pronounced “Chew-n” not “two – n”

Dropping the “U” in words (Noah Webster?)

And “write me.” Where question first arose by the fantastic S&G song. They even leave out the question mark!

Edit: Just checked and it is a blurred image. So I deleted.

Last edited:

1. What is "'Write me.' An American quirk?"

"'Write me.' An American quirk" is a phrase commonly used by Americans when asking for someone's contact information, particularly their mailing address.

2. Why is this phrase considered an American quirk?

This phrase is considered an American quirk because it is not commonly used in other cultures or languages. In many other countries, people may simply ask for someone's address without using the phrase "write me."

3. When did this phrase originate?

The exact origin of this phrase is unknown, but it has been used in American culture for many years. It may have originated as a way to emphasize the importance of receiving someone's contact information in writing.

4. Is this phrase still commonly used in American culture?

Yes, this phrase is still commonly used in American culture, particularly in more formal or professional settings. It is also often used in casual conversations between friends and acquaintances.

5. Are there any other American quirks related to communication?

Yes, there are many other American quirks related to communication, such as using the phrase "how are you?" as a greeting without expecting a detailed response, or ending emails with "best regards" or "sincerely." These quirks may seem odd to people from other cultures, but they are considered normal in American communication.