Write an inequality and solve for the maximum possible value of n

In summary, an inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. To write an inequality, you first identify the quantities you want to compare and use the appropriate symbol to show their relationship. Solving an inequality means finding all possible values of the variable that make the inequality true, determining the range of values that the variable can take on. To solve for the maximum possible value of n, you isolate the variable and any constants, and determine the largest value that n can take on without making the inequality false. For example, for the inequality "3n + 5 < 20", we can determine that the maximum possible value of n is 4.
mathlearn
Mass of a book of type X = 40g;

Mass of a book of type Y=80g;

The total mass of n books of type X and one book of type Y is less than 200g;

i. Write down an inequality containing the variable n only.

ii. Solve the above inequality for n and write down the maximum possible value for n

So how should the inequality be written (Thinking) Help needed (Wink)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you asking, in particular, what is the total weight of $n$ books each of which weighs 40g? Perhaps you can consider multiplication...

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Are you asking, in particular, what is the total weight of $n$ books each of which weighs 40g? Perhaps you can consider multiplication...

Hello (Wave),

I think you should build and inequality as the problem states; can you help me build one

According to education.com, multiplication is covered in third grade. I am willing to give you more explicit help if you confirm that you study in third grade or below.

MHB helpers have to distinguish between people who want others to do work for them and people who have legitimate difficulties because we don't want to encourage the former behavior. Not doing any work for a simple problem is suspicious. Also, it goes against http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/, which requires showing some effort.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
According to education.com, multiplication is covered in third grade. I am willing to give you more explicit help if you confirm that you study in third grade or below.

MHB helpers have to distinguish between people who want others to do work for them and people who have legitimate difficulties because we don't want to encourage the former behavior. Not doing any work for a simple problem is suspicious. Also, it goes against http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/, which requires showing some effort.

Hmm.. Apologies It took me some time to figure out the inequality, I'm sorry at the time of posting this I had no working or ideas, I promise that won't happen again,

Sorry MHB! (Wasntme) if I went against rule #11, I think that I belong to the category under "legitimate difficulties".

Back to math :)

Think this should be the inequality in i
40n+80<200g

Many Thanks :)

Last edited:
mathlearn said:
Think this should be the inequality in i
40n+80<200g
That's correct! And since the inequality is strict, the maximum possible value for $n$ is 2.

Related to Write an inequality and solve for the maximum possible value of n

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one quantity is less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to the other quantity.

2. How do you write an inequality?

To write an inequality, you first identify the quantities you want to compare. Then, you use the appropriate symbol to show their relationship. For example, the inequality "n < 10" compares the variable n to the number 10, indicating that n is less than 10.

3. What does it mean to solve an inequality?

Solving an inequality means finding all possible values of the variable that make the inequality true. In other words, you are determining the range of values that the variable can take on in order for the inequality to be satisfied.

4. How do you solve for the maximum possible value of n?

To solve for the maximum possible value of n, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality and any constants on the other side. Then, you can determine the largest value that n can take on without making the inequality false. This value will be the maximum possible value of n.

5. Can you provide an example of solving an inequality for the maximum possible value of n?

Yes, for the inequality "3n + 5 < 20", we can first subtract 5 from both sides to isolate the variable: "3n < 15". Then, we can divide both sides by 3 to get "n < 5". Therefore, the maximum possible value of n is 4, since any value greater than 4 would make the inequality false.