Proof of the triangle inequality

In summary, the proof for the variant of the triangle inequality for an arbitrary number of terms can be done by using induction on the number of terms. The base case can be proved using the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality, and then the inductive step can be shown by assuming the inequality for n terms and proving it for n+1 terms. This process can be repeated for any number of terms, making it applicable for any n.
dobedobedo
I am familiar with the proof for the following variant of the triangle inequality:

|x+y| ≤ |x|+|y|

However, I do not understand the process of proving that there is an equivalent inequality for an arbitrary number of terms, in the following fashion:

|x_1+x_2+...+x_n| ≤ |x_1|+|x_2|+...+|x_n|

How do I prove this? Please write down the solution step by step. I know that the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is used for proving this in the case where n=2, but is it possible to use it for any n?

Thank you,
Dobedobedo!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
|x+y+z| =|(x+y)+z| ≤ |x+y|+|z| ≤ |x|+|y|+|z| ...

Haha okay. I get the way of solving it thanks, but that answer is just lazy haha. I guess induction should be use somehow? Okay. I'll try to figure it out.

Sorry if it is not too formal; I thought I'd give you the idea. Well..., yes, you got me,

I was being lazy too.

But, yes,you could do an induction on the number of terms:

Assume |x1+x2+...+xn|≤|x1|+

|x2|+...+|xn|.

How does it follow from above that

|x1+x2+...+xn+1|≤|x1|+

|x2|+...+|xn+1| ?

Last edited:

Dear Dobedobedo,

Thank you for your question. The proof for the triangle inequality for an arbitrary number of terms can be done using mathematical induction. Here is the step by step solution:

Step 1: Base case - n=2
As you mentioned, the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality can be used to prove the triangle inequality for two terms. So for n=2, we have:

|x_1+x_2| ≤ |x_1|+|x_2|

Step 2: Assume the inequality is true for n=k
Next, we assume that the inequality is true for n=k, meaning that:

|x_1+x_2+...+x_k| ≤ |x_1|+|x_2|+...+|x_k|

Step 3: Prove it for n=k+1
Now, we need to prove that the inequality holds for n=k+1. This can be done by using the triangle inequality for two terms (n=2) and the assumption from step 2:

|x_1+x_2+...+x_k+x_{k+1}| = |(x_1+x_2+...+x_k)+x_{k+1}| ≤ |x_1+x_2+...+x_k|+|x_{k+1}| ≤ |x_1|+|x_2|+...+|x_k|+|x_{k+1}|

This shows that the inequality holds for n=k+1, and thus completes the proof by mathematical induction.

Step 4: Conclusion
Therefore, we can conclude that the triangle inequality holds for any number of terms, as it holds for n=2 and we have shown that it holds for n=k+1 assuming it holds for n=k. This completes the proof.

I hope this helps to clarify the process of proving the triangle inequality for an arbitrary number of terms. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Related to Proof of the triangle inequality

1. What is the triangle inequality?

The triangle inequality is a mathematical theorem that states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. In other words, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

2. How is the triangle inequality proven?

The triangle inequality can be proven using a variety of methods, such as the triangle inequality theorem, the Pythagorean theorem, or by using geometric constructions. Essentially, it can be proven by showing that the shortest distance between two points is always a straight line.

3. Why is the triangle inequality important?

The triangle inequality has many important applications in geometry, physics, and other branches of mathematics. It is the basis for many other theorems and formulas, and is essential in understanding and solving problems related to distances, angles, and shapes.

4. Can the triangle inequality be applied to all triangles?

Yes, the triangle inequality applies to all triangles, regardless of their size or shape. It is a fundamental property of triangles and holds true for all possible combinations of side lengths.

5. What happens if the triangle inequality is not satisfied?

If the triangle inequality is not satisfied, then the shape formed by the three given points is not a triangle. This means that the points are not connected by straight lines and do not form a closed shape. In geometry, this is known as a degenerate triangle.