Would you take a look at this Thesis summary?

• Thread starter Grz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thesis
In summary, Jedishrfu and mfb found that the production of thermostatic controllers needed some flow, but were unsure why and how. They investigated this by measuring and describing the flow characteristics of (the?) compressed air and demineralized water.
Grz
Hello everyone,

I hope this is a proper place to post this message.
I would like to ask you to take a look at this Thesis summary. It is important that it be a person familiar with the jargon. I am not a native speaker of English and want to make sure that I do not say rubbish in the summary. I would really appreciate if you took a few seconds to look and tell me if it sounds legit.

The thesis describes the designing and making of a measuring station to analyze capillary tubes used in thermostatic controllers in IMI Hydronic Engineering. The apparatus was used to measure and describe the characteristics of (the?) flow. The survey was carried out with the use of compressed air and demineralized water.The reason behind carrying out the tests was to find problems with the production process resulting in faulty products. The tests were also to find out at which stage of the production of thermostatic controllers disturbance or lack of flow occurred. In the last part of the thesis one can find suggestions for enhancing the efficiency of the production process. The thesis also includes measurements of flow losses during air and water flow. The experiment involved different types of capillary tubes used in thermostatic controllers and also an extra tube which was squashed for the sake of the experiment. The aim was to see how limited patency affects the production process.

Archivizing and parameter reading were assisted by LabView software.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a native speaker either so I will focus on the content, not on language.

I agree that the abstract should describe why this is done earlier.
Grz said:
The apparatus was used to measure and describe the characteristics of (the?) flow.
Flow where, how, why? Also, that is a bit redundant to the first sentence.
Grz said:
The survey was carried out with the use of compressed air and demineralized water.
As flow media?
Grz said:
The reason behind carrying out the tests was to find problems with the production process resulting in faulty products.
Which products?
Grz said:
The tests were also to find out at which stage of the production of thermostatic controllers disturbance or lack of flow occurred.
This answers the previous question. I guess the production of those controllers needs some flow, but at least for me it is unclear why and how. Unless this is absolutely clear for everyone in your field, it might be useful to explain the production process.

Suggestion: Start with a one-sentence summary what you did, then explain the production process in one or two lines, explain which part is problematic, then describe what you did to investigate this.

Thank you both, jedishrfu amd mfb!

Related to Would you take a look at this Thesis summary?

1. What is the purpose of a thesis summary?

A thesis summary is a condensed version of a longer research paper that highlights the key points and findings of the study. Its purpose is to provide a brief overview of the research and its significance, making it easier for readers to understand the main arguments and conclusions.

2. How do you write an effective thesis summary?

To write an effective thesis summary, you should start by reading the entire research paper and identifying the main points and key findings. Then, you can use concise and clear language to summarize these points in a logical and organized manner. It is important to avoid including any new information or personal opinions in the summary.

3. What should be included in a thesis summary?

A thesis summary should include a brief introduction to the research topic, a statement of the research question or hypothesis, a summary of the methodology used, and a concise overview of the main findings and conclusions. It may also include the significance of the study and its implications for future research.

4. How long should a thesis summary be?

The length of a thesis summary can vary depending on the length of the original research paper. Generally, it should be around 10% of the total length of the paper, which is approximately 250-300 words. However, it is important to check with your institution or supervisor for any specific guidelines.

5. Can a thesis summary be used as a standalone document?

No, a thesis summary is not meant to be used as a standalone document. It should always be accompanied by the full research paper, as it is only a condensed version and does not provide enough detail or context for readers to fully understand the research. It is meant to serve as a supplement to the paper, providing a quick overview for those who may not have the time to read the entire paper.