Would you read a blog about numerical analysis?

In summary: Ultimately, it would be a valuable resource for anyone interested in applied mathematics and numerical computations. In summary, a blog discussing numerical computations would be a valuable resource for those interested in applied mathematics and bridging the gap between theory and real-world applications.

How does the words "numerical analysis" feel like?

• Nah, unavoidable swamp between me and results.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh, let's get to watch Netflix.

• Lol, who cares?! We have Mathematica!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Theia
Hey! I have been thinking about different topics on mathematics, and for some reason I feel, that applied mathematics and doing numerical computations is often overlooked.

When I was studying in university, more than 95 % of all examples which would require numerical methods were either omitted or simply left there with a note "just get numbers out". While it is certainly true, numerical tools don't offer much new cool theory, and it is "just computing", I've also noticed, not many have a single idea, how to calculate different kind of things accurately - and preferably quickly. And as we all should know, only a tiny fraction of real problems can be solved analytically, this careless thinking amaze me.

So, I am thinking, if I start a blog about numerics to make it clearer, what are those omitted parts... But meanwhile I find numerical computations extremely interesting, how do the others? I would like to hear your opinions, would that kind of blog be worth your time, or would you consider it born as dead? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a blog about numerical computations would be very valuable. It is true that analytical methods are often more desirable when it comes to solving problems, but there are still many situations where numerical methods are the best way to go. I think a blog dedicated to understanding these methods and showing how they can be used to solve various problems would be very helpful. Additionally, as you mentioned, it could help bridge the gap between what is taught in school and what is actually used in real-world applications.

1. What is numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with developing algorithms and methods for solving mathematical problems using numerical approximation techniques. It involves using computers and software to obtain numerical solutions to complex mathematical problems.

2. Why is numerical analysis important?

Numerical analysis is essential in many fields such as science, engineering, finance, and data analysis. It allows us to solve complicated mathematical problems that would be impossible or time-consuming to solve by hand. It also helps us analyze and interpret data, make predictions, and improve the accuracy of calculations.

3. Who can benefit from reading a blog about numerical analysis?

Anyone who is interested in mathematics, computer science, or data analysis can benefit from reading a blog about numerical analysis. It can also be helpful for professionals and researchers who use numerical methods in their work, such as engineers, scientists, and financial analysts.

4. What topics would be covered in a blog about numerical analysis?

A blog about numerical analysis can cover a wide range of topics, including numerical methods for solving linear and nonlinear equations, interpolation and approximation techniques, numerical integration and differentiation, optimization algorithms, and applications in various fields.

5. How can reading a blog about numerical analysis improve my understanding of the subject?

Reading a blog about numerical analysis can help you stay updated on the latest techniques and advancements in the field. It can also provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and concepts behind numerical methods. Additionally, blogs often include examples and practical applications, which can enhance your problem-solving skills and improve your overall understanding of the subject.