Would You Get Vaccinated at Recreation Center If Offered?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
In summary: I think it's a good idea to wait until your father is fully vaccinated. It is definitely a good idea to get vaccinated as soon as possible. However, if you are obese, you may not be a high risk. In summary, you are obese and live with someone who is not fully vaccinated. The center has reopened and sports are offered, but spectators are required to have masks on. The vaccinations will be at a location away from the sports, but you still have to go in and off to a side area.
kyphysics
Assume:
i.) You are obese (I'm about 35-40 lbs overweight).
ii.) You live with someone in a very high risk category who has not been fully vaccinated (they've only received 1 shot and need the second).
iii.) You are going at a time after the center has opened (several hours afterwards) with lots of people going through it. This center has reopened to sports of all kinds. If doing sports, masks are not required. Spectators of the people playing, however, are required to have masks on (to me, this is weird, as what good is that with so many not wearing masks??).
iv.) The vaccinations will obviously be at a location in the rec. AWAY from the sports, BUT, you still have to obviously go in and off to a side area.

So, there's this brief of elevated risk as you're walking into the rec. center and into the side area. I could catch the virus while getting a vaccine, right? But, if all goes well, I'll have gotten it before most people are allowed in my age group (these are extra doses unused and offered for anyone...).

HOWEVER, as I said, I live with someone with heart disease and who is high risk that isn't fully vaccinated. That's the major thing on my mind. Even IF I GOT COVID, I wouldn't be a high risk other than obesity. Really, it's not wanting to potentially get it and pass it on to my father at this time. He gets his 2nd Moderna dose in two weeks.

My gut says don't do this, but it is being offered to me due to my association with people setting up the extra doses. Opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've worked a number of mass vaccination sites, and I much prefer the drive-through setup. Do you have a drive-through site available to you now? If not, I would wear a well-fitting N95 mask to the vax site and carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me (I carry one all the time now). That will help to protect you against picking up the virus while you are there. Maybe also wash your clothes when you get home.

It's a very good thing to get the vax as soon as you can, IMO. Because of my EMS involvement, I'm now 2 weeks past my 2nd vax shot. PM me if you have any questions that aren't addressed in the forums.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and Klystron
berkeman said:
I've worked a number of mass vaccination sites, and I much prefer the drive-through setup. Do you have a drive-through site available to you now?
None that I know of. We have several vaccination sites: local health department, Walmart, CVS, Sam's Club and this recreation center. All seem to require indoors with Walmart being the one I'm not familiar with (the others, I've read about or have had relatives/friends go to).

I'm not sure this recreation site is even a "common" site, as this is the first I've heard of them doing it. These are "soon-to-be-expired" doses...so it was kind of spontaneous.
If not, I would wear a well-fitting N95 mask to the vax site and carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me (I carry one all the time now).
Hmmm, I probably should have tried to order one in the past. ...The shot is in days, so it'll be too late to get an N95.

Mainly, I worry that gyms are a place of easy transmission with lots of heavy breathing from sports. They have people working out, swimming, playing basketball, doing handball, etc. all without masks. If this was some pharmacy, where everyone has to wear a mask, I'd be like 100%...sign me up! Just this whole gym thing has me thinking if I should just wait. My father has a faulty heart valve and has only gotten his first shot, so my default thinking is just wait until he's fully vaccinated. Then, I'll have less regret if something happens. The drawback would be that I may need months before getting a shot. ...This is a rare opportunity to "cut the line" so to speak, as these are extras with abrupt expiration.

Decisions, decisions...my gut, for now, still seems to be leaning, no. Just wait. But I appreciate EVERYONE's opinion and will factor them in! :smile:

kyphysics said:
Hmmm, I probably should have tried to order one in the past. ...The shot is in days, so it'll be too late to get an N95.
Well, if you can double up with cloth masks, that will get you closer to an N95 mask (I can post the links if needed). Still take hand sanitizer in case you have to touch anything.

Have they posted any pictures of the vax site? As long as it is a large open area with good airflow, it may be okay. I would think that the local EMSA (Emergency Medical Services Agency) and local DPH (Dept. of Public Health) have approved the site (check this), and if so, that should mean that they are reasonably safe.

Hi, kyphysics! Take all the safety measures available, and get vaccinated. Berkeman's posts are definite to make up your mind.
Greetings!

I would get vaccinated only by medics at an appropriate facility. In my case, that would be any hospital or the clinic, where our family physician works.

Since you asked, I concur with all the above posters. In my case I am the elder person with a 'leaky heart valve'; since replaced with a biological prosthetic. I try to maintain a steady weight below obese.
  1. Received first vaccination at local hospital after scheduling first and second dose.
  2. Wore double masks. An N-95 tight fitting craft mask saved from before the pandemic plus a cotton cloth (gaiter) to cover neck and face around the mask.
  3. Wore long clothing that I washed after returning home, covered shoes in place of sandals, hat, glasses and thin gloves. Carried ID card in top shirt pocket for quick access.
  4. The hospital has hand sanitizer stations throughout that I used after removing gloves to use lavatory.
  5. The vaccination venue was inside the largest auditorium on the first floor. Everyone wore masks and observed distancing. Scheduling meant a relatively short wait in line.
Note: the hospital requires recipients to sit in an observation waiting area for 15 minutes after receiving vaccine. I felt fine at hospital but a bit sore at home after a hot shower and fresh clothes.

For what it is worth I like my bovine replacement heart valve and can exercise until my body tires.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Maybe also wash your clothes ...
I've washed my clothes so many times during this pandemic that I'll need to buy replacements. :oldcry:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Thanks you all.

I guess nature is pretty "funny." Due to tornadoes in the area, I ended up not being able to go. We had massive storm and winds (30 mph).

The thread was educational, nonetheless. At this point, I will just try to get next available for my age group. With the Biden admin. promising everyone shot availability no later than May 1 (let's see if they can do it), that shouldn't be long.

kyphysics said:
Thanks you all.

I guess nature is pretty "funny." Due to tornadoes in the area, I ended up not being able to go. We had massive storm and winds (30 mph).

The thread was educational, nonetheless. At this point, I will just try to get next available for my age group. With the Biden admin. promising everyone shot availability no later than May 1 (let's see if they can do it), that shouldn't be long.
My first jab is Monday in the middle of a Manchester UK Mall
I am hoping people are playing by the rules and not going to center to do whatever, day out.
It is at a pharmacist, I think all my previous seasonal flu jabs have been at the pharmacy.
The COVID tests I have had have been in sports halls/leisure centers.

Anyway good luck

1. What are the potential risks of getting vaccinated at a recreation center?

There are minimal risks associated with getting vaccinated at a recreation center. The vaccines are administered by trained healthcare professionals and the facilities are typically clean and well-maintained.

2. Can I choose which vaccine I receive at a recreation center?

It depends on the availability of the vaccines at the recreation center. Some centers may offer a choice, while others may only have a specific vaccine on hand. It is important to check with the center beforehand.

3. Is it safe to get vaccinated at a recreation center instead of a doctor's office?

Yes, it is safe to get vaccinated at a recreation center. The vaccines used at recreation centers are the same as those used at doctor's offices, and the process is overseen by trained healthcare professionals.

4. Will I need to make an appointment to get vaccinated at a recreation center?

It depends on the specific recreation center. Some may allow walk-ins, while others may require appointments. It is important to check with the center beforehand to see what their policy is.

5. Are there any age restrictions for getting vaccinated at a recreation center?

Again, it depends on the specific recreation center. Some may have age restrictions for certain vaccines, while others may offer vaccinations for all ages. It is best to check with the center beforehand to see what their policies are.