Would you do this? Video of tower-climbing excavator

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, the conversation revolves around a series of images showing an excavator perched on top of a tall tower, with some expressing awe and admiration for the operator's skill, while others express skepticism and concern for safety. The possibility of the images being edited or fake is also brought up. The discussion also touches on the construction and stability of the tower, with some speculating that it is made of concrete while others suggest steel. The idea that the excavator is locked in place by the tower is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a video of the same demo and the question of whether the operator safely got down from the tower or not.
Physics news on Phys.org

No.
I'm terrified of heights. Sure looks cool, though.

Impressive operator. I hope he is well compensated.

I presume someone did the appropriate mechanical analyses.

On the other hand, some people have way too much time on their hands.

What height? :biggrin:

It would have to be of really special construction. Especially the third picture makes me skeptical.

misgfool said:
Especially the third picture makes me skeptical.

If you're referring to the apparent defiance of gravity, notice that the front of the tracks is wedged between the step and a topside retainer block. It took me a while to figure that out.

Danger said:
If you're referring to the apparent defiance of gravity, notice that the front of the tracks is wedged between the step and a topside retainer block. It took me a while to figure that out.

Oh, I didn't spot that. I was thinking first that the digger was creating a gravitational hill in space geometry.

Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.

I have fallen for too many cool things that have later proven to be PhotoChopped or otherwise hoaxed. I have no reason to think this is fake - other than precedent.

You can blame my cynicism on the 'Stunt pilot lands with one wing' video, which shook my faith.

Actually, you can trace my cynicism farther back to the break up of Brad and Jennifer but let's just go with the stunt pilot landing on one wing bit...

I dunno... that looks entirely real to me. The lighting is consistent throughout, and there seems to be way more detail than a fraudster would bother with.
I'm quite interested to know what that tower is made of. It looks like concrete, but it's hard for me to think of that being strong enough (especially referring to the dimensions of the retainer blocks). I don't know much about structures, though.

F yes I'd do that! Thats awesome!

whoa! that's suicide! no thanks...i won't do it. i salute him anyway(that's a world record)

No thanks! I wouldn't even be willing to stand as close as those spectators were to watch.

There is a video of the same demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RobaJKGMMiE

It's a clever trick. If you look at the tower, it locks the machine in place. It isn't sitting in it, so much as the machine pins itself into place. So it's self locking. Still, I wouldn't do it.

Obviously the tower is made of steel, not a concrete.

Take a look around 5:17, looks like there are additional hooks to make the thing more stable.

What I don't get is - did he get down, or is he still up there?

If I could do that, I would do it in a heartbeat, but only after some training...

Related to Would you do this? Video of tower-climbing excavator

1. How does the tower-climbing excavator work?

The tower-climbing excavator operates similarly to a regular excavator, but with the added ability to climb up vertical surfaces. It uses hydraulic cylinders and motors to move its arms and tracks, allowing it to climb and reach high places.

2. Is the tower-climbing excavator safe to operate?

Yes, the tower-climbing excavator is designed with safety in mind. It is equipped with advanced sensors and technology to prevent accidents and ensure the safety of the operator and those around it.

3. What are the benefits of using a tower-climbing excavator?

The tower-climbing excavator has many benefits, including increased efficiency and productivity. It can reach high places that would be difficult or impossible for a regular excavator, making it ideal for construction and maintenance projects.

4. Can the tower-climbing excavator be used in all types of terrain?

Yes, the tower-climbing excavator is designed to be used in various types of terrain, including rough and uneven surfaces. Its tracks and arms are adjustable to adapt to different environments.

5. How does the tower-climbing excavator compare to other types of excavators?

The tower-climbing excavator offers unique capabilities that other excavators do not have. Its ability to climb and reach high places sets it apart from traditional excavators and makes it a valuable tool for certain tasks.