Would this require a Taylor Series Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the inequality abs[ sin(x) - 6x/(6+x^2) ] <= x^5/24 for all x in the interval [0,2]. The person attempts to use the Taylor series expansions for both functions and concludes that the error in the approximation is less than the first omitted term, thus proving the inequality.
Bachelier
Show that

abs[ sin (x) - 6x/(6+x^2) ] <= x^5/24, for all x in [0,2]

I tried to use the sine function taylor expansion but I get stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Bachelier.

What are the taylor series for both sin(x) and 6x/(6 + x^2)?

for sine it is:

sin x = x - x^3/3! + x^5/5! - ... + (-1)^(n-1) x^(2n-1)/(2n-1)! + (-1)^n x^(2n+1)/(2n+1)! cos(y)

for a y in [0,2]

and f(x)= (6x /(x^2 + 6)) = x - x^3/6 + x^5/6^2 -x^7/6^3 + x^9/6^4 - x^11/ 6^5 + ... + (-1)^(n-1) x^(2n-1)/6^(n-1) + (-1)^n x^(2n+1)/6^n * f^n(0)

f^n(0) may equal 0 or -,+1 depending on n

Ok adding both terms we get:

abs [sin x - (6x /(x^2 + 6))] = |-7x^2/360 + 67/15120 x^7 -...|

≈ 7x^2/360 which is clearly ≤ x^2/24

is this good enough or do I have to bound my function?

Last edited:
A monotone alternating series' error is less than the first term omitted.
so yes
abs[ sin (x) - 6x/(6+x^2) ] <=7 x^5/360<x^5/24

Related to Would this require a Taylor Series Proof

1. What is a Taylor Series Proof?

A Taylor Series Proof is a mathematical method used to approximate a function by expressing it as an infinite sum of simpler functions. It is named after the mathematician Brook Taylor and is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

2. When is a Taylor Series Proof necessary?

A Taylor Series Proof is necessary when you need to approximate a function at a particular point or interval. It is also useful in situations where the function cannot be easily integrated or differentiated.

3. How is a Taylor Series Proof different from a Taylor Series Expansion?

A Taylor Series Proof is a rigorous mathematical proof that shows the validity of the Taylor Series Expansion. The expansion itself is just the infinite sum of simpler functions used to approximate a function.

4. Can a Taylor Series Proof be used for any function?

Yes, a Taylor Series Proof can be used for any function that is infinitely differentiable, meaning that it can be differentiated an infinite number of times. However, the resulting series may not always converge.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Taylor Series Proof?

One limitation of using a Taylor Series Proof is that it can only approximate a function within a certain interval. Outside of this interval, the approximation may not be accurate. Additionally, the convergence of the series may be slow for certain functions.