Would this be a general formula for the gradient of a function r^n?

In summary, the general formula for the gradient of a function r^n is (n*R)/(r^(2-n)) or (n*R')/(r^(1-n)). This formula can be used to calculate the gradient of any value of n without having to plug in specific values.
grandpa2390
Had to find the general formula for the gradient of a function r^n. r is the length of the vector connecting (x,y,z) with (x',y',z')

I took the gradient of r^n and simplified it. If I plug in any number for in in r^n and go through the process, I will get the same result as if I take this function and plug that number into n at the end.
Does that make sense? Would this be considered the general formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to our homework section.

It would help to see the formulas you got.

In general, it should not matter when you plug in values - and in the general case you don't even have to do that.

mfb said:
I moved the thread to our homework section.

It would help to see the formulas you got.

In general, it should not matter when you plug in values - and in the general case you don't even have to do that.

I plugged in values to check.

let R be the vector (x-x')+(y-y')+(z-z')
let r be the length (sqrt of (x-x')^2...
R' be the unit vector

I get the general formula for del(r^n) as (n*R)/(n^(2-n)) or (n*R')/(r^(1-n))
I plugged in a number for n to check if my result would give me the same answer as if I used that number instead of n and it does. Does that mean that this is a general formula?

grandpa2390 said:
(n*R)/(n^(2-n))
I guess you mean (n*R)/(r^(2-n)).
In LaTeX, you have
##\nabla|\vec R|^n=n\vec R|\vec R|^{n-2}##, right?

Related to Would this be a general formula for the gradient of a function r^n?

1. What is a general formula for the gradient of a function r^n?

The general formula for the gradient of a function r^n is ∇r^n = nr^(n-1)∇r, where ∇r is the vector gradient operator.

2. How is the gradient of a function r^n calculated?

The gradient of a function r^n can be calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and then multiplying by the vector gradient operator.

3. Can the general formula for the gradient of a function r^n be applied to any function?

Yes, the general formula for the gradient of a function r^n can be applied to any function that is in the form of r^n, where r is the distance from the origin and n is a constant.

4. How is the gradient of a function r^n used in physics and engineering?

The gradient of a function r^n is used in physics and engineering to calculate the rate of change of a physical quantity with respect to its position in space. It is also used to determine the direction and magnitude of the maximum rate of change.

5. Is there a relationship between the gradient of a function r^n and the concept of slope?

Yes, there is a relationship between the gradient of a function r^n and the concept of slope. The gradient of a function r^n can be thought of as the slope of the tangent line to the function at a given point in space.