Would I struggle studying undergrad/physics?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Churchill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the person is considering studying physics despite having left school at 13 and lacking knowledge in certain areas. They are interested in physics and are considering studying at The Open University in the UK. They are also interested in pursuing postgraduate studies, but are unsure if their undergraduate studies will adequately prepare them. They prefer not to take the conventional route of going back to college and are seeking advice on their math skills in relation to studying physics. They are advised to work on their math skills before starting their physics studies.
Churchill
Hello,

I'm pondering going back into education to study physics. Having left school at 13, there are naturally some areas of science and maths that I'm a little shakey on, some areas of science completely elude me.

Why do I want to study physics? Well it's something that has interested me for years. My lack of knowledge in some areas is due to unwillingness to learn at school as opposed to inability, however I still find myself in a position where I could potentially struggle either way.

Where would I study? Well, thankfully an establishment here in the UK called The Open University offer courses primarily aimed at a mature student looking to further their education. That said, prerequisites for courses aren't the same as 'normal', full-time universities.
I would be studying natural sciences tailored to physics, or I suppose physics would be a 'major', though the outcome will still be considered a natural sciences degree.

Postgrad? Well it's certainly something I'd like to consider if I manage undergrad comfortably. Again, another fear is that although I may be learning a fair bit of physics in undergrad, I don't know if what I'll learn will sufficiently prepare me for postgrad physics/nuclear physics/astrophysics.

If it helps, I've just turned 23 and I would rather not revert back to college and go the 'conventional' way, as it would take 2-3 years just to take courses and sit exams to get the points to apply for university etc.

Thanks in advance for any help and I'll be available if anyone has further questions if I haven't explained everything appropriately.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Depends on your preparation and how much fun you find physics, and math.
If you enjoy puzzles you should be OK - just will take you a bit to come up to speed.
The usual approach is to take a refresher course - the Open University tends to be a learn-at-your-own-pace - if you hit a problem you can go to a more basic course to recap.

However, unless you know others doing a similar course, you will be at a disadvantage probably more important than your lack of experience. Students discuss the coursework amongst their peers and this social interaction helps with motivation and learning.

Try out the papers, look through the course material, and try to fit the course to what you enjoy. These days there is the internet so there is always help.

How good is your math?? If you want to start studying physics, then your math needs to be excellent. You should be able to solve these questions with relative ease:

1) Factor [itex]x^3-2x^2-x+2=0[/itex].

2) Solve the system

[tex]\left\{\begin{array}{c}2x+2y+6z=7\\ 4x+5y=3\\ 6x+7z=3 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

3) Prove

[tex](\sin(x)+\cos(x))^2=1+\sin(2x)[/tex]

4) You are standing from a certain distance from a tower. The bottom and the top of the tower make an angle of 25° with your eyes. You step 10m forward and the angle increases to 30°. How high is the tower?

5) Find all the x such that

[tex]3\log_2(x)-\log_2(x+1)\geq 2[/tex]

If you have significant trouble with these math exercises, then your math is not good enough. I suggest getting a good math book and start working through it.

I recommend the book "basic mathematics" by Serge Lang. It's a wonderful book and certainly worth a read.

Related to Would I struggle studying undergrad/physics?

1. Would I need strong math skills to study undergrad physics?

Yes, math is an essential component of physics. A strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and geometry is necessary to understand and solve complex physics problems.

2. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of physics before starting undergrad studies?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of physics before starting your undergrad studies. However, having a basic understanding of physics concepts can be beneficial in the beginning.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualities that can help me succeed in studying undergrad physics?

Some skills and qualities that can help you succeed in studying undergrad physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and a strong work ethic. Good time management and communication skills are also important.

4. Will I be able to handle the workload of an undergrad physics program?

The workload of an undergrad physics program can be challenging, but it is manageable with proper time management and dedication. It is important to prioritize your studies and seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

5. What career opportunities are available for undergrad physics majors?

There are many career opportunities available for undergrad physics majors, such as research and development in industries like aerospace, energy, and technology. Other options include teaching, data analysis, and consulting. A degree in physics can also open up opportunities in other fields, such as finance and healthcare.