Would I have to teach my self some parts that aren't covered in the course?

In summary, the instructor said that in America and the rest of the world they cover also cover infinite series in calculus b, but here instead it is cover in calculus c. The syllabus for calculus c is: Chapter 12-INFINITE SERIES, Chapter 15-PARTIAL DIFFERENTIATION, Chapter 16-MULTIPLE INTEGRALS, Chapter 17-VECTOR CALCULUS. However, the instructor said that covering surface integrals and stokes theorem are also covered. The electrical engineering major that the respondent took infinite series in both their second and third calculus courses. Line integrals, surface integrals, Stoke's theorem, and the divergence theorem were all covered in their third calculus course
madah12
I am taking calculus b but for some reason it seems to be a shorter version according to my instructor. We are using james stewart 6th edition but only taking chapters from 7-11 excluding 10 which are

7_Inverse Functions: Exponential, Logarithmic, and Inverse Trigonometric Functions
8_Techniques of Integration
9_Further Applications of Integration
11_Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates

he says in america and the rest of the world they cover also cover infinite series in calculus b but here instead it is cover in calculus c which syllabus is
CHAPTER 12-INFINITE SERIES:
CHAPTER 15-PARTIAL DIFFERENTIATION:
CHAPTER 16-MULTIPLE INTEGRALS:
CHAPTER 17-VECTOR CALCULUS:
but note covering surface integrals and stokes theorem so do you advise that from now I try to teach my self?

Edit
I forgot to say I am an electrical engineering major

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that I took infinite series in both my second and my third calculus courses. Line integrals, surface integrals, Stoke's theorem, and the divergence theorem were all covered in my third calculus course.

You should try and get as much as you can from your courses. If you find that you need to learn more, then do so.

here the third calculus ends with curl and divergence but covers nothing on surface integrals so I am wondering if they are important for electrical engineers

madah12 said:
here the third calculus ends with curl and divergence but covers nothing on surface integrals so I am wondering if they are important for electrical engineers

I never covered it when studying Electrical Engineering, It's always better to have a multitude of sources not just your bog-standard course curriculum materials.

When studying in anything even as a basic apprentice you should always self-teach in your own time and perfect your trade skills and over-standing.

I advise covering anything related to your subject even if it is not common knowledge for your course, being thorough is important.

boy it is kind of hard to cover divergence without mentioning surface integrals. (google the "divergence theorem".)

Not to mention Stokes's theorem for the curl, which also uses a surface integral.

You need both Stokes's theorem and the divergence theorem to make the connection between the integral and differential formulations of Maxwell's equations, which I would think EEs would learn about.

To take a slightly different view, the question "would I have to teach my self some parts that aren't covered in the course?" is usually "yes", irrespective of the details.

this is a really good question whose answer is always yes, as vanadium said.

you have to know everything basically, and courses are just there to help you, not to limit how much you need to know.

often you have to teach yourself even the parts that are covered in the courses. again the course is just there to help you.

madah12 said:

Its important for your applied Electricity and Magnetism course you take while in EE, after that unless you're going to specialize in E&M directly you probably won't see it again.

Related to Would I have to teach my self some parts that aren't covered in the course?

1. What parts will I have to teach myself that are not covered in the course?

The specific parts that you will have to teach yourself may vary depending on the course and the material covered. However, it is common for courses to only cover the basics or fundamentals of a subject, and it is up to the student to further explore and learn more advanced or specific topics on their own.

2. How do I know if I need to teach myself additional material?

If you find yourself struggling to understand certain concepts or if you have a strong interest in a particular topic that is not covered in the course, it may be necessary for you to teach yourself additional material. It is important to communicate with your instructor and classmates to determine if the material is necessary for the course or if it is something you can explore on your own.

3. Can I teach myself material that is not covered in the course?

Yes, you can definitely teach yourself material that is not covered in the course. In fact, self-learning and exploring new topics is a valuable skill for any scientist. With the abundance of resources available online and in libraries, you can easily find information and materials to supplement your learning.

4. How can I effectively teach myself material that is not covered in the course?

There are various ways to effectively teach yourself material that is not covered in the course. Some tips include setting specific learning goals, creating a schedule or study plan, using a variety of resources such as textbooks, online articles, and videos, and seeking help from experts or peers if needed.

5. Is it necessary to teach myself material that is not covered in the course?

It is not always necessary to teach yourself material that is not covered in the course. If the material is not relevant to the course or your goals, it may be more beneficial to focus on mastering the material that is covered. However, if you have a strong interest in the topic or if it will benefit your understanding of the course material, it can be valuable to teach yourself additional material.