Would I be able to do theoretical physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's love for mathematics and physics despite dropping out of high school and indulging in drugs and alcohol. They eventually re-enroll in school and wonder if they can pursue theoretical physics without innate talent, relying on hard work instead. The response states that it is possible, but typically students have some natural talent and disciplined work does not always equate to passion and interest. The conclusion is uncertain, but with a tendency towards no.
Daaniyaal
About a year and a half ago, I fell in love with mathematics, physics, and our universe. I had dropped out of High School when I was 15 (grade 10) and wasted a year outside of school. During this time I started indulging in marijuana and alcohol. Also, ironically, it was during this year that I developed intellectually and found interest in academics. All of a sudden school had a purpose, and university became a desire. So I enrolled in school again, this time in the International Baccalaureate program and continued in from grade 11. My test results deemed that I needn't take grade 10. My first few months went well in the IB system but, I was unfortunately unable to disassociate myself from the drugs&alcohol crowd. Eventually, my problems were brought to light, and my mother and I decided it was best that I move to Pakistan, my native country.

Ignore most of that, it's irrelevant and boring. My question is, would one be able to do theoretical physics simply because of passion and interest? Does one require some innate talent? I feel that I lack talent and I was wondering if I could make up for it through the merit of my hard work?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your assessment that the information you gave is "irrelevant (and boring)" for the question at hand. That leaves your post with no relevant information and the question whether you might be "able to do theoretical physics" (whatever that may mean in detail). The answer obviously is "possibly" (with a tendency towards "no" in the unlikely case that you consider that a helpful answer).
It is usually agreed upon that a disciplined worker will outperform a lazy natural talent. This, however, applies to physics students, which usually have at least some innate talent in physics and math. Also, disciplined work does not necessarily equate with what most people self-perceive as "passion and interest". So again, the bottom line is "dunno" with a tendency to "no".

No offense meant with any of the above, btw. You're also free to ignore anything I said without being afraid of offending me.

Related to Would I be able to do theoretical physics?

1. Can anyone do theoretical physics?

Technically, anyone can attempt to do theoretical physics, but it requires a certain level of intelligence, mathematical ability, and dedication to fully understand and contribute to the field. It is not an easy field to master, and it is not for everyone.

2. Do I need a specific educational background to do theoretical physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics and physics is necessary for theoretical physics. Most theoretical physicists have at least a bachelor's degree in physics, mathematics, or a related field. A graduate degree is often required for more advanced research and career opportunities.

3. Is it necessary to have strong mathematical skills to do theoretical physics?

Yes, theoretical physics is heavily based on mathematical concepts and equations. A strong understanding of calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and other advanced mathematical topics is essential for success in this field.

4. Can I do theoretical physics without having access to expensive equipment?

Theoretical physicists primarily work with mathematical models and theoretical frameworks, so access to expensive equipment is not necessary. However, it is important to have access to resources such as books, journals, and computer software for simulations and calculations.

5. Is it possible to have a successful career in theoretical physics?

Yes, there are many successful theoretical physicists who have made significant contributions to the field. However, it requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and a passion for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe. It is a highly competitive field, but with determination and perseverance, it is possible to have a successful career in theoretical physics.