Would a taser work on a zombie?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: I'm starting to doubt that thought since it would be all dried up and nutrient depleted which is required for the muscles to contract no? If it was powerfull enough though I'm sure it would do something...Assuming zomies exist, they cannot have a sense of humor.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I say no, but it would probably deter a wolfman or a vampire.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you taser it's head?

Probably. If you snuck up behind it.

Wouldn't it still make the muscles contract?

B. Elliott said:
Wouldn't it still make the muscles contract?

That's what I'm thinking... I'm starting to doubt that thought since it would be all dried up and nutrient depleted which is required for the muscles to contract no? If it was powerfull enough though I'm sure it would do something...

They use tasers in the Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii so yes, they do

Math Is Hard said:
Would a taser work on a zombie? I say no ...
I agree. Zombies, like creationists, are immune to logic, evidence, and electroshock therapy.

D H said:
I agree. Zombies, like creationists, are immune to logic, evidence, and electroshock therapy.

You've tried electroshock therapy on creationists? :wink:

I don't think a taser would work on a zombie. Wouldn't moisture in a living human help to conduct the electricity? And aren't zombies moistureless?

This is just silly. Zombies, unlike Frankensteins are not in need of reanimation. Zombies need moisturizing creams and make-over.

Phrak said:
This is just silly. Zombies, unlike Frankensteins are not in need of reanimation. Zombies need moisturizing creams and make-over.

Reanimation? I thought the purpose of a taser was to incapacitate the receiver.

I imagine that it depends on how the zombie was created. One that's held together and animated by pure magic probably wouldn't be bothered much by a taser.

GeorginaS said:
Reanimation? I thought the purpose of a taser was to incapacitate the receiver.

I don't think so. Zombies are people too! I could be wrong. I think Math Is Hard simply wants to help enrich their life style. Table manner training was my next idea. Have any ideas?

Last edited:
Well that depends on if the zombie used to be a cop. If it was, then that means he has special immunity! :smile:

If you're looking for a scientific answer, well that depends on if the zombie has a neuromuscular system, because it works by disrupting that system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TASER

They're interesting, I bought one of those self-defense C2 TASERS with a laser that shoots barbed darts from TASER International. http://www.taser.com/Pages/consumer.aspx

It came with a target/basic training CD. It's thrilling to shoot at the target, although expensive. Seeing and hearing the electricity move across the target reminds me of fireworks. They also used to sell some that looked like leopard skin and other fashions, meant to appeal to women, plus one with a MP3 player, but I don't know what happened.

http://www.designnews.com/photo/63857-CA6517815_A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, now that I think of it, it's so obvious how it would work!

You'd taser the first zombie, and he'd go down no problem. You get his next 4 or 5 buddies in rapid succession. Then all of them rise back up at the same time continuing their pursuit (and now that much closer to you!).

You know, we are all kind of screwed now that Zombies can run.

Zombies can do anything by lack of counterexample. All zombies can run is a vacuously true statement.

When we discover what zombies can't do is when we're in trouble

hypatia said:
You know, we are all kind of screwed now that Zombies can run.

Unrelated, but I've been thinking of getting this tee for Halloween. If only they offered it in a girl-cut, it'd be a done deal already:

il_fullxfull.95503029.jpg

OK OK so they can run but do they have a sense of humor? :wink:

Assuming zomies exist, they cannot have a sense of humor.

Suppose a zombie exists and has a sense of humor. This zombie must find it funny that he can remove random body parts and continue operating (proof: See comedic horror movies). Thus the zombie would tear himself apart for a few laughs, rendering himself incapable of action. Eventually, another zombie would eat him

Do you mean the Resident Evil retard/relentless zombies, or do you mean the Dawn of the Dead super-fast/super-human crap your pants and die of a heart-attack zombies?

In most movies if you cut off the head break the back they die. So I guess it would have an impact on their nervous system. Of course, they don't really care if they are in pain so I imagine as soon as you stop using the taser Joe Zombie will continue his previously intended objective (brains and such).

How stupid would you feel if you were the guy in the doomed party of luckless survivors if you were armed with a taser. I think picking up most any blunt object you come across would be the best course of action.

How wise would it be to be to attack something that is dead with a non-lethal weapon?

Would using a non-lethal weapon on something that is dead bring it back to life? Cancel out the dead so to speak.

Hurkyl said:
I imagine that it depends on how the zombie was created. One that's held together and animated by pure magic probably wouldn't be bothered much by a taser.

Unless you had a magical taser.. that might explain the video game effects.

How wise would it be to be to attack something that is dead with a non-lethal weapon?

Would using a non-lethal weapon on something that is dead bring it back to life? Cancel out the dead so to speak.

How stupid would you feel picking a lethal weapon because of its ability to kill living creatures?

physics girl phd said:
Unrelated, but I've been thinking of getting this tee for Halloween. If only they offered it in a girl-cut, it'd be a done deal already:

il_fullxfull.95503029.jpg

No need to worry. Cut out a nice V-neck and be sure to post. PFers should be quick in appreciation of your taloring skills.

Office_Shredder said:
How stupid would you feel picking a lethal weapon because of its ability to kill living creatures?

I imagine the efficiency of a weapon at killing "living" creatures is at the heart of all lethal weapons purchases.

On the other hand, how smart would you feel if you were the last remaining member of the luckless survivors and you were backed in a corner. The first zombie comes at you and you taze him.

He straightens his back looks around and says "Wow, I feel so much better." He then leaves.

The other zombies are so impressed that they line up for miles awaiting your healing electric jolt.

That is until the battery runs out.

Math Is Hard said:
Would a taser work on a zombie?
Depends on your definition of zombie of course.

D H said:

This reminds me of a conversation with my dentist. She explained that her father was waiting to receive his "spirit healing crystal" designed to heal his stomach pains. This of course was after his 300 dollar Canadian electroshock machine failed to do so.

Pattonias said:
I imagine the efficiency of a weapon at killing "living" creatures is at the heart of all lethal weapons purchases.

On the other hand, how smart would you feel if you were the last remaining member of the luckless survivors and you were backed in a corner. The first zombie comes at you and you taze him.

He straightens his back looks around and says "Wow, I feel so much better." He then leaves.

The other zombies are so impressed that they line up for miles awaiting your healing electric jolt.

That is until the battery runs out.

At this point you just continue to use it on them, with no regard to the way it no longer works. The zombies have obviously heard of how great the shock is, so the placebo effect will be enough to placate them.

What is a taser and how does it work?

A taser is a weapon that uses electrical current to disrupt the body's neuromuscular system, causing temporary paralysis and incapacitation.

What is a zombie and how does it differ from a regular human?

A zombie is a fictional undead creature that is typically depicted as a reanimated corpse with a hunger for human flesh. Unlike regular humans, zombies are often portrayed as having no higher brain function and are impervious to pain.

Would a taser affect a zombie differently than a human?

It is difficult to say for certain as zombies are fictional and their characteristics can vary depending on the source. However, it is possible that a taser may not work on a zombie if their neural pathways and muscles are not functioning in the same way as a living human.

Could a taser be an effective weapon against a zombie?

Again, this would depend on the specific characteristics of the zombie in question. In some depictions, zombies are shown to be impervious to most forms of physical harm, making a taser ineffective. In other depictions, a taser may be able to temporarily stun or immobilize a zombie, giving the user an opportunity to escape or attack with another weapon.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of a taser against zombies?

No, as zombies are not real, there is no scientific evidence to support the use of a taser against them. However, tasers have been proven to be effective against living humans in certain situations and could potentially be used in a similar way against a zombie, depending on their abilities and vulnerabilities.