Can Being High Stop a Taser's Effect?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Megaton
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether being "high" on drugs like LSD or PSPS can nullify the effect of being electrocuted or tasered. The expert explains that while some drugs may lower the sensitivity of a person to the effects of tasers, they cannot prevent true electrocution. However, there are some medical conditions and recreational drugs that can make tasers less effective, which can be problematic for law enforcement officers. The person seeking information is advised to do further research, particularly on the effects of opioids on electric shock.
Megaton
This is a question I have is in Lei to an argument my friend and I were having.
In regards to be electrocuted or tasered; would the effect of being "high" let's say on LSD, PSPS or whatever nullify the effect of the given electrocution
Simply put can being high stop a tasers effect?
Thanks for any help.

Biology news on Phys.org
Megaton said:
This is a question I have is in Lei to an argument my friend and I were having.
In regards to be electrocuted or tasered; would the effect of being "high" let's say on LSD, PSPS or whatever nullify the effect of the given electrocution
Simply put can being high stop a tasers effect?
Thanks for any help.
Electrocution involves a much higher level of current than what Tasers use. Obviously Taser designers try to make the temporary paralysis effect work with no lasting permanent damage or death. There are medical conditions that can make the Taser use result in serious injury or death, but thankfully those are rare.

True electrocution cannot be blunted by any drug that I'm aware of. There are probably a few medical drugs that can lower the sensitivity of the heart's electrical pacemaker nodes and distribution nerves to outside electrocution, but just by a little, and AFAIK, recreational drugs would not fall into this category.

There are some medical conditions and some recreational drugs that can lower the sensitivity of a person to the effects of the limited Taser shocks, and those are very problematic for Law Enforcement Officers (LEOs). If the less-than-lethal Taser does not work well enough to let the officers safely take the individual into custody, then the escalation of force can result in bad things for the person who they are trying to detain or arrest.

What reading have you been doing on this question on your own? There should be many helpful articles on how some illnesses and some recreational drugs affect the effectiveness of Tasers...

Likes BillTre
Megaton said:

Hi there Megaton
welcome to PF

for a starter, you misunderstand the meaning of the word "electrocution"
definition = electrocution is death by electric shock

what you are really referring to is an electric shock and if its effects are dulled by some form of intoxication

other than that, @berkeman has given you some very good considerations

Dave

berkeman said:
Electrocution involves a much higher level of current than what Tasers use. Obviously Taser designers try to make the temporary paralysis effect work with no lasting permanent damage or death. There are medical conditions that can make the Taser use result in serious injury or death, but thankfully those are rare.

True electrocution cannot be blunted by any drug that I'm aware of. There are probably a few medical drugs that can lower the sensitivity of the heart's electrical pacemaker nodes and distribution nerves to outside electrocution, but just by a little, and AFAIK, recreational drugs would not fall into this category.

There are some medical conditions and some recreational drugs that can lower the sensitivity of a person to the effects of the limited Taser shocks, and those are very problematic for Law Enforcement Officers (LEOs). If the less-than-lethal Taser does not work well enough to let the officers safely take the individual into custody, then the escalation of force can result in bad things for the person who they are trying to detain or arrest.

What reading have you been doing on this question on your own? There should be many helpful articles on how some illnesses and some recreational drugs affect the effectiveness of Tasers...
Thanks for your help. TBH I have been having difficulty finding a good simple article on this, thanks for your response.

There are analgesics, e.g. opioids that dull the sensation of pain stimulus to the body. Some recreational drugs do contain opiates. For articles, you may want to search (keywords): opioids & electric shock, to find some useful literature.

Related to Can Being High Stop a Taser's Effect?

1. Can being high actually stop a taser's effect?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that being high can stop a taser's effect. In fact, being under the influence of drugs or alcohol can actually increase the risk of taser-related injuries.

2. Why do some people claim that being high can stop a taser?

Many people believe that being high can numb the body and decrease pain sensitivity. However, this is not true when it comes to the effects of a taser. The electrical shock from a taser bypasses the body's natural pain response and can cause temporary paralysis.

3. Are there any studies that have tested the effects of being high on tasers?

There have been some limited studies on the effects of being high on tasers. However, these studies have shown that being under the influence of drugs or alcohol can actually make a person more susceptible to the effects of a taser.

4. Can certain drugs or medications affect the effectiveness of a taser?

Yes, certain drugs and medications can affect the effectiveness of a taser. For example, drugs that affect the central nervous system, such as cocaine or methamphetamine, can increase the risk of cardiac arrest when combined with a taser. It is important to disclose any drug or medication use to law enforcement if a taser is being used.

5. Is there anything a person can do to protect themselves from a taser while high?

The best way to protect oneself from the effects of a taser while high is to avoid situations where a taser may be used, such as confrontations with law enforcement. Additionally, staying away from drugs and alcohol can help to decrease the risk of taser-related injuries.