Worst runtime of an algorithm

In summary: Can you please explain what it is and how you would go about proving it?The algorithm ClosePoints runs in O(n^2) time.
TiberiusK
Hello guys,I decided to try and do a problem about analyzing the worst possible runtime of an algorithm.Since I'm a beginner and I want to do an understand this right I require some help.
I came accros this problem in a book that uses the following algoritthm
Input: A set of n points (x1, y1), . . . , (xn, yn) with n ≥ 2.
Output: The squared distance of a closest pair of points.
ClosePoints
1. if n = 2 then return (x1 − x2)^2 + (y1 − y2)^2
2. else
3. d ← 0
4. for i ← 1 to n − 1 do
5...for j ← i + 1 to n do
6...t ← (xi − xj)^2 + (yi − yj)^2
7...if t < d then
8...d ← t
9. return d
The questions are the following:T(n) represents the worst possible runtime.
1. Prove that T(n) = O(n^2). For this part you must use the O(·) notation along with any
appropriate properties .
2. Prove that T(n) = Ω(n^2). (In fact the runtime of the algorithm is Ω(n^2) for all inputs of n
points.)
3. Is it true to say that T (n) = Θ(n^2)? Justify your answer very briefly.

Now 3 is dependent of 1 and 2.As for 1 I know that we say that f is O(g), pronounced
if and only if there is an n0 ∈ N and c > 0 in R such that for all
n ≥ n0 we have
f(n) ≤ cg(n).
And also we say that f is Ω(g) if there is an
n0 ∈ N and c > 0 in R such that for all n ≥ n0 we have
f(n) ≥ cg(n).
I was thinking of either using small positive constants c1, c2, c3, c4... to represent the cost of
executing line 1,2,3,4,.. or maybe just directly O(1),O(1)...instead of constants...
How should I solve the questions?Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
In this case, the double loop produces all combinations of n things taken 2 at a time,

[tex]T(n) = c\ \left ( \begin{array}{c} n \\ 2 \end{array} \right ) = c\ \frac{n\ (n-1)} {2}}[/tex]

where c is some constant. The only variation in overhead is how often statement #8 (d ← t) is performed. I'm assuming you're not supposed to be reinventing how to derive this. If you list the number of iterations of the inner loop, (n-1, n-2, ... 2, 1), and then reverse the list and add the two lists, you get:

Code:
n-1 n-2 n-3 ...   3   2   1
  1   2   3 ... n-3 n-2 n-1
---------------------------
  n   n   n ...   n   n   n

There are (n-1) instances of n in the sum, and since two lists were used, divide this sum by 2 to get the number of iterations, (n) (n-1) / 2.

You could also use calculus, integrating the equation y = x + 1/2, from 0 to n-1, noting that the area under the line from 0 to 1 = 1, from 1 to 2 = 2, ... from n-2 to n-1 = n-1, and the total sum of the area = 1/2 (n-1)2 + 1/2(n-1) = (n) (n-1) / 2

Last edited:
thanks...I quest writting O(1)+O(1)+O(1)+...for the first lines doesn't make any difference as the final result is not changed

why the equation y = x + 1/2?...also how can I find a constant to prove 2?

TiberiusK said:
why the equation y = x + 1/2?

Because of this relationship between a summation of sequential integers and the integral of x + 1/2:

[tex]\sum _{i=1} ^{n}\ i \ = \ \int _0 ^n \ (x + 1/2)\ dx [/tex]

thanks rcgldr you've been most helpful...any advice on proving part 2?I have something but I don't find it very solid as a proof

I don't know what omega(n^2) even means.

Related to Worst runtime of an algorithm

What is the worst runtime of an algorithm?

The worst runtime of an algorithm refers to the maximum amount of time it takes for the algorithm to complete its task, regardless of the input data. It is also known as the time complexity of an algorithm.

Why is the worst runtime of an algorithm important?

The worst runtime of an algorithm is important because it helps us understand how efficient the algorithm is. A lower worst runtime means the algorithm can handle larger input data and complete the task faster. This is crucial in real-world applications where time and resources are limited.

How is the worst runtime of an algorithm calculated?

The worst runtime of an algorithm is typically calculated using Big O notation, which is a mathematical notation that describes the limiting behavior of a function when the argument tends towards a particular value or infinity. In simpler terms, it tells us how the runtime of an algorithm increases as the input size grows.

What are some common worst runtimes for algorithms?

Some common worst runtimes for algorithms include O(1) (constant time), O(log n) (logarithmic time), O(n) (linear time), O(n^2) (quadratic time), and O(2^n) (exponential time). These runtimes represent different levels of efficiency, with O(1) being the most efficient and O(2^n) being the least efficient.

Can the worst runtime of an algorithm be improved?

Yes, the worst runtime of an algorithm can be improved by analyzing and optimizing the algorithm's code and data structures. There are also techniques such as dynamic programming and memoization that can be used to improve an algorithm's performance. However, it is important to note that some algorithms have an inherent worst runtime that cannot be improved upon.