Why Python IDLE is faster than Spyder or Jupyter notebook

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, the conversation is about the different runtimes of various Python IDEs, with the speaker wondering if Python IDLE is the best for performance. They also mention trying out different IDEs and recommend using Sublime Text 3. The other person suggests focusing on learning programming techniques instead of worrying about runtime, and mentions the possibility of using Cython for faster performance.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I defined a simple prime function and then I append each number to an array up to 1 million and then later 2 million. In both cases, Python IDLE gives me the answer in 4 and 9 seconds respectively, but Spyder and Jupyter Notebook gave me in 12 and 24 seconds. I wonder why this happened. The time delay is doubled in each case and that's not something small.

Is Python IDLE the best in the case for performance? Or just, in this case, it gives me the best result but in other cases, I should use the other ones?

Also, I didn't run it on the PyCharm but what would be the speed of the same operation on that IDLE?

I am trying many IDLE's but I am not sure to use which one. What would be your ideas on idle on both performance and usability?

Python:
import time
start=time.time()
def prime(N):
    if N==0 or N==1:
        return False
    y=int(N**(0.5))
    for i in range(2,y+1):
        if N%i==0:
            return False
    return True
A=[N for N in range(1000000) if prime(N)==True]
end=time.time()
Time=end-start
print("Time to solve",Time,"sec")
Runtime on Pyton IDLE: 4.639 sec

Runtime on Jupyter : 9.4383 sec

Runtime on Spyder : 8.633 sec

Technology news on Phys.org
try doing your tests on larger, newer problems... a few seconds isn't such a big deal. Some of your tests may be getting an unfair headstart based on cache.

I mostly use Pycharm and Jupyter notebooks, occasionally Atom. Also, I thought time.clock() was preferred to time.time()? It's been a while since I looked into the mechanics of this.
- - - -
To be honest I wouldn't worry about any of this. Python has a massive community on the Internet and unless other people (e.g. on stack overflow) have repeatedly flagged this as an issue with various interpreters/platforms and running python, then it probably says more about your setup's idiosyncrasies than IDLE, Jupyter, etc.

I'd focus on my attention on learning programming techniques (e.g. I recall one of your challenge problems took well over an hour to solve, but many of us can solve it in under a second)... that should be more rewarding, and fun, right?

Likes pbuk and phinds
StoneTemplePython said:
try doing your tests on larger, newer problems... a few seconds isn't such a big deal. Some of your tests may be getting an unfair headstart based on cache.
Thats possible I guess. But it sounds strange..I ll run some ther programs that I wrote and I ll test them.

StoneTemplePython said:
I mostly use Pycharm and Jupyter notebooks, occasionally Atom. Also, I thought time.clock() was preferred to time.time()? It's been a while since I looked into the mechanics of this.
I saw that code on the net so I was using it .I ll look into it

StoneTemplePython said:
To be honest I wouldn't worry about any of this. Python has a massive community on the Internet and unless other people (e.g. on stack overflow) have repeatedly flagged this as an issue with various interpreters/platforms and running python, then it probably says more about your setup's idiosyncrasies than IDLE, Jupyter, etc.
I wanted to use something else...I first downloaded Pycharm then I tried Spyder and Jupyter notebook. I thought they would be faster or at least Idk some advantage over the Python IDLE.I searched online and they say the best is Pycharm. Maybe I try another shot on that one

StoneTemplePython said:
I'd focus on my attention on learning programming techniques (e.g. I recall one of your challenge problems took well over an hour to solve, but many of us can solve it in under a second)... that should be more rewarding, and fun, right?
Its I guess I am reading the book and I am studying online lectures by MIT. So eventually I ll get there somehow (I guess).

Also I recommend you sublime text 3. The name talks about it. Simple, beatifull, elegant and "free". I don't need more.

zenonparadox said:
Also I recommend you sublime text 3. The name talks about it. Simple, beatifull, elegant and "free". I don't need more.
I looked at it it seems nice but I think its mostly for large number lines of vode I guess ? and I think it doesn't have a run ? I mean its just a text editor. Pycharm seems really nice in this case

From my experience, Jupyter notebook is insanely slow. It also tends to crash if the notebook is large. However, the GUI is absolutely beautiful, and you get to write Latex, HTML and markdown between your lines of code and create absolutely beautiful NOTEBOOKS. That's what it's designed to do. It's not designed for speed. Use it for data exploration, documentation and presentations, but never for speed. It's not designed for speed. If you're looking for speed, why are you using Python? It's about the aesthetics, man.

You can use Cython in Jupyter notebook, though. That may be worth experimenting with if speed is your goal. You would probably also want to write the code in Jupyter notebook but download the Jupyter notebook as a script and then run the script outside of Jupyter notebook.

Last edited:

Related to Why Python IDLE is faster than Spyder or Jupyter notebook

1. Why is Python IDLE faster than Spyder or Jupyter notebook?

Python IDLE is faster because it is a lightweight and simple integrated development environment (IDE) that only provides the basic features for writing and executing code. Spyder and Jupyter notebook, on the other hand, are more robust and offer a variety of advanced features such as debugging, data visualization, and collaboration tools, which can slow down their performance.

2. Does the speed of Python IDLE affect its functionality?

No, the speed of Python IDLE does not affect its functionality. It may have a simpler interface and lack advanced features, but it still has all the necessary components for writing and executing Python code efficiently.

3. Can the speed of Spyder or Jupyter notebook be improved?

Yes, there are ways to improve the speed of Spyder or Jupyter notebook. One way is to optimize the code by using efficient algorithms and data structures. Another way is to run the code on a more powerful computer or server.

4. Are there any advantages to using a slower IDE like Spyder or Jupyter notebook?

Yes, there are several advantages to using Spyder or Jupyter notebook despite its slower speed. These IDEs offer a range of advanced features that can greatly enhance productivity, such as code completion, debugging tools, and interactive data analysis capabilities.

5. Is the speed of an IDE the only factor to consider when choosing one?

No, the speed of an IDE should not be the only factor to consider when choosing one. It is important to also consider the features and functionality that the IDE offers and whether it meets your specific needs and preferences as a programmer. Additionally, the speed of an IDE may vary depending on the computer or server it is being used on, so it is important to test different options to find the best fit for your needs.