Working with binomial identieies.

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binomial
In summary, the conversation is about proving the identity \binom{r}{k}=\frac{r}{r-k}\binom{n-1}{k}, and the individual is asking for confirmation on their reasoning and pointing out a possible typo in the equation.
chaotixmonjuish
[tex]\binom{r}{k}=\frac{r}{r-k}\binom{n-1}{k}[/tex]

I'm having problems proving this. However, here is my reasoning:

when factoring out an r you get

[tex]\frac{r*(r-1)!}{(r-k)!k!}[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{r}{r-k}*\frac{(r-1)!}{(r-k-1)!k!}
[/tex]

Is this proper reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good. I think there is a typo in the problem the way it is stated. What is n?!

I think it should read (r-1)Ck on the right side, not (n-1)Ck.

Was that an actual proof of the identity?

It would be if you write r instead of n in the original statement as Russell Berty pointed out.

Related to Working with binomial identieies.

1. What are binomial identities?

Binomial identities are mathematical formulas that involve binomial coefficients, which are the coefficients of the terms in a binomial expansion. They are used to simplify and solve binomial equations, which are equations with two terms.

2. How are binomial identities used in science?

Binomial identities are used in many areas of science, including statistics, genetics, and physics. They are particularly useful in probability calculations, where they can be used to determine the probability of a certain outcome or event.

3. What is the most well-known binomial identity?

The most well-known binomial identity is the binomial theorem, which states that when a binomial expression is raised to a power, the coefficients of the resulting terms are given by the binomial coefficients.

4. How can I remember and apply binomial identities?

Practice is key when it comes to remembering and applying binomial identities. It can also be helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind the identities, rather than just memorizing them.

5. Are there any special techniques or tips for working with binomial identities?

Yes, there are some common techniques and tips that can make working with binomial identities easier. These include using Pascal's triangle to determine binomial coefficients, using the binomial theorem to expand binomial expressions, and using algebraic manipulation to simplify complex identities.