Working Principle of Sewing Machine ( Paddle Part )

In summary, the conversation was about the traditional sewing machine mechanical mechanism, specifically the foot paddle part. The image from Google showed a typical sewing machine and the person was curious about the "Name" for this mechanism. They were also interested in calculating the force from the paddle to the sheave. The expert summarizer provided the information that the mechanism is called a "treadle" and explained its function in the traditional sewing machine.
shinnsohai
Hi guys,
I wanted to ask something that I am interested on
Which is on the traditional sewing machine mechanical mechanism (On the foot paddle part)
eccee90e9bacf36b622af9e31321be65.jpg

Image taken from Google.

From the image above, a typical sewing machine
For such application, what is the "Name" for it?
Im more likely wanted to know more about how do i calculate the force from paddle to the sheave

P.S: I've been searching around the internet, all i got on the principle of the sewing machine is on its lock stitch

Engineering news on Phys.org
The mechanism is called a "treadle":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadle

In the days before electric motors became common, the sewing machine operator would use a foot pressing on the treadle to turn a crank, located up above. Turning the crank converted the reciprocating motion of the treadle into a rotary motion used by the sewing machine on top.

Thanks mate!
I'll look into it

Related to Working Principle of Sewing Machine ( Paddle Part )

1. What is the purpose of the paddle part in a sewing machine?

The paddle part, also known as the foot pedal, is responsible for controlling the speed and direction of the sewing machine. By pressing down on the paddle, it activates the motor which in turn moves the needle and fabric through the machine, creating stitches.

2. How does the paddle part work?

The paddle part is connected to the motor of the sewing machine through a series of gears and belts. When pressed, it sends an electrical signal to the motor, causing it to rotate and move the needle up and down. The speed of the motor is controlled by the pressure applied to the paddle.

3. Can the paddle part be adjusted for different sewing speeds?

Yes, the paddle part usually has a speed control feature that allows the user to adjust the sewing speed according to their preference. This can be useful when working with different types of fabrics that require different stitching speeds.

4. Is the paddle part interchangeable between different sewing machines?

In most cases, the paddle part is designed specifically for a certain sewing machine model and cannot be interchanged with other machines. However, there are universal foot pedals available that can be used with various sewing machines.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with the paddle part?

If the paddle part is not working, first check the connections to ensure they are secure. If the connections are fine, the issue may be with the motor or the foot pedal itself. It is best to consult the sewing machine's manual or a professional for further troubleshooting steps.