Working out the current flow in a wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of setting up a circuit with three wires and ensuring a closed loop circuit for current flow. The person asking the question is struggling with the set up and asks for help. The expert suggests splitting the resistances of the connecting wires into equal halves and solving for the currents using Kirchhoff's laws. The person then presents their equations and the expert provides feedback on their solution. The conversation concludes with the person solving the equations and getting different results, to which the expert explains that the negative signs of the currents indicate a correction in the original guess of the direction of the currents.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Finding the current that flows in the third wire and 20 V battery
Relevant Equations
Ohm's law
Kirchhoff's 1st & 2nd law
Hi there!

I have recently been given this question by my teacher as shown below

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 17.18.09.png

I'm struggling to see the set up arrangement for this circuit

This is what I have drawn so far

IMG_3768.JPG

How would I fit in the third wire here and ensure I have closed loop circuit so that current can begin to flow?

Any help would be great! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have included the resistances of the connecting wires twice; first draw the cells with one above the other, and then add on the internal resistances. You are then connecting the poles with wires of ##4\Omega## and ##10\Omega##, but you are subsequently also connecting the midpoint of these wires with an ##8\Omega## wire.

If the resistance of the wires increases linearly with length, try splitting the resistances of each of the wires connecting the poles into equal halves. Does this help you to draw the diagram?

etotheipi said:
You have included the resistances of the connecting wires twice; first draw the cells with one above the other, and then add on the internal resistances. You are then connecting the poles with wires of ##4\Omega## and ##10\Omega##, but you are subsequently also connecting the midpoint of these wires with an ##8\Omega## wire.

If the resistance of the wires increases linearly with length, try splitting the resistances of each of the wires connecting the poles into equal halves. Does this help you to draw the diagram?

Thanks I have tried to follow through with what you have said and get my new set up looking like this?

IMG_3769.JPG

Bolter said:
Thanks I have tried to follow through with what you have said and get my new set up looking like this?

This looks good to me, however to solve the problem you need so separate the ##4\Omega## wire into two ##2\Omega## resistors on either side of the node, and the same goes for the ##10\Omega## wire. If you want justification, it comes from the fact that each of the connecting wires can be thought of as two half wires joined together, and since both have the same length they both have the same resistance.

Then you need to solve for the currents! If you label up the currents in each branch, what equations can you write down from Kirchhoff's two laws?

etotheipi said:
This looks good to me, however to solve the problem you need so separate the ##4\Omega## wire into two ##2\Omega## resistors on either side of the node, and the same goes for the ##10\Omega## wire. If you want justification, it comes from the fact that each of the connecting wires can be thought of as two half wires joined together, and since both have the same length they both have the same resistance.

Then you need to solve for the currents! If you label up the currents in each branch, what equations can you write down from Kirchhoff's two laws?

Ok so I have tried to construct some equations from Kirchhoff's 2nd law, where I know that sum the voltages around a closed circuit is zero

IMG_3770.JPG

Do these 2 equations that I have obtained from Kirchhoff's 2nd law look right?

Bolter said:
Ok so I have tried to construct some equations from Kirchhoff's 2nd law, where I know that sum the voltages around a closed circuit is zero

Do these 2 equations that I have obtained from Kirchhoff's 2nd law look right?

They seem fine to me; notice that now you have 3 equations and 3 unknowns:

##I = I_{1} + I_{2}##, ##3 = 10I + 8I_{2}## and ##-17 = 10I + 8I_{1}##

This is now just a case of solving the simultaneous equations.

etotheipi said:
They seem fine to me; notice that now you have 3 equations and 3 unknowns:

##I = I_{1} + I_{2}##, ##3 = 10I + 8I_{2}## and ##-17 = 10I + 8I_{1}##

This is now just a case of solving the simultaneous equations.

I have now solved these simultaneously using a bit of substitution and elimination and the results I obtained were

I = –0.5 A
I2 = 1 A
I1 = –1.5 A

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

This doesn't seem right to me since the answer gives these?

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 19.31.42.png

Bolter said:
This doesn't seem right to me since the answer gives these?

The ##1.0\text{A}## and ##1.5\text{A}## currents are the same as you determined for parts a) and b). Perhaps you are concerned about the negative signs of the currents? This just means that your original guess of the direction of the currents happened to be incorrect (this is fine, Kirchhoff's laws are self correcting!), and the currents should in fact be in the opposite direction.

Note also that a faster way to solve the system would be to add the two equations ##3 = 10I + 8I_{2}## and ##-17 = 10I + 8I_{1}##. Then you can turn ##8I_{1} + 8I_{2}## into ##8I##!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Bolter
etotheipi said:
The ##1.0\text{A}## and ##1.5\text{A}## currents are the same as you determined for parts a) and b). Perhaps you are concerned about the negative signs of the currents? This just means that your original guess of the direction of the currents happened to be incorrect (this is fine, Kirchhoff's laws are self correcting!), and the currents should in fact be in the opposite direction.

Note also that a faster way to solve the system would be to add the two equations ##3 = 10I + 8I_{2}## and ##-17 = 10I + 8I_{1}##. Then you can turn ##8I_{1} + 8I_{2}## into ##8I##!

Ah so these negative signs just indicate that the current is actually flowing in the opposite direction as opposed to the direction that I chose. I see how these current directions fix themselves if I stay consistent throughout with the direction that I initially chose first

Thanks this was quite useful to take in note of!

Likes etotheipi

Related to Working out the current flow in a wire

1. How is current flow measured in a wire?

The current flow in a wire is measured in amperes (A), also known as amps. This is done using a multimeter, which can measure the amount of current passing through a wire.

2. What factors affect the current flow in a wire?

The current flow in a wire is affected by the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the wire, and the length and thickness of the wire. These factors can impact the amount of current that can flow through the wire.

3. How does the length of a wire affect current flow?

The longer the wire, the higher the resistance, which means that less current will be able to flow through it. This is because the longer the wire, the more collisions there are between the electrons and the particles in the wire, causing a decrease in the current flow.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a wire?

According to Ohm's Law, the current in a wire is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the voltage increases, the current flow in the wire will also increase, and vice versa.

5. How can the current flow in a wire be increased?

The current flow in a wire can be increased by increasing the voltage, decreasing the resistance of the wire, or using a thicker wire with lower resistance. However, it is important to note that the current flow should always be within safe limits to prevent damage to the wire and other components in the circuit.