Current flowing through a resistor in an RRL DC circuit

In summary: Yes, as soon as the inductor is connected to a voltage source, the current through it is zero because the induced emf entirely opposes the current that the source is trying to establish. When zero current goes through a circuit element that circuit element behaves as an open switch.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Determine the current flowing through the circuit(attached below) immediately after having closed the switch.
Values of ##V##, ##R_1##, ##R_2## and ##L## are given.
Relevant Equations
Ohm's law
Inductance
DISCLAIMER: don't answer in terms of integrals, I haven't covered those yet :)

Schermata 2021-03-08 alle 16.10.22.png
Hi guys, I'm having a few troubles understanding RRL circuits, and have a few questions for you.
A "normal" RL circuit will have a current growing inversely exponentially, starting from 0 and going to ##V/R## as predicted by Ohm's law.

First question: why, intuitively(not algebraically, I know that in order to demonstrate it we must solve a differential equation), is that true?

Then, coming back to our RRL, should we consider the current flowing through ##R_1##, immediately after closing the circuit, to be ##I=\frac{V}{R_1+R_2}## with regards to the consideration above for an RL circuit, by which we deduce that the current at ##t\approx 0## flowing in the branch with the inductor, is ##I_i\approx 0##?

Physics news on Phys.org
>>>>
First question: why, intuitively(not algebraically, I know that in order to demonstrate it we must solve a differential equation), is that true?
<<<<
Intuitively, you can think in terms of energy.
An inductor stores some energy when there is a current flowing through it. This energy cannot jump from zero to a finite amount in zero time. So the current has to start from 0, and increase gradually.

The shape of current vs time graph will depend on the nature of input and other connected elements. This is where algebraic and differential equations come into play.
For an RL circuit excited with a dc voltage source, the resulting differential equation gives an exponentially increasing current.

• Informative
Likes greg_rack and Delta2
greg_rack said:
Then, coming back to our RRL, should we consider the current flowing through R1, immediately after closing the circuit, to be I=VR1+R2 with regards to the consideration above for an RL circuit, by which we deduce that the current at t≈0 flowing in the branch with the inductor, is Ii≈0?
Yes, I agree with both of your conclusions.

Likes greg_rack
You don't need to solve a differential equation if all you wish to know is the behavior of an uncharged inductor "immediately after" (##t=0##) or "a long time later" (##t\rightarrow\infty##) when a voltage is applied to it. All you have to remember is that an uncharged inductor acts like an open switch "immediately after" and like a short circuit "a long time later". Uncharged capacitors act oppositely: short circuit "immediately after" when they are uncharged and open switch "a long time later" when they are fully charged.

Likes Delta2 and greg_rack
kuruman said:
You don't need to solve a differential equation if all you wish to know is the behavior of an uncharged inductor "immediately after" (##t=0##) or "a long time later" (##t\rightarrow\infty##) when a voltage is applied to it. All you have to remember is that an uncharged inductor acts like an open switch "immediately after" and like a short circuit "a long time later". Uncharged capacitors act oppositely: short circuit "immediately after" when they are uncharged and open switch "a long time later" when they are fully charged.
Great, but why do they act as open switches "immediately after"?

For capacitors(I take advantage of the nice association you have suggested), for instance, we can explain their short-circuiting "immediately after" since, if ##q=0##, so will be the voltage ##V=qC## "opposing" that of the EMF.
Is there such an explanation even for inductors?

Likes Delta2
greg_rack said:
Great, but why do they act as open switches "immediately after"?
As soon as the inductor is connected to a voltage source, the current through it is zero because the induced emf entirely opposes the current that the source is trying to establish. When zero current goes through a circuit element that circuit element behaves as an open switch. Of course this is instantaneous, i.e. only "immediately after".

You must be familiar with this kind of thinking from kinematics. When you release a weight from rest with air resistance, its velocity "immediately after" is zero and its acceleration is g. A long time later, the weight reaches terminal velocity and its acceleration is zero. When the weight becomes an inductor, velocity becomes current ##I## and acceleration becomes "voltage across" ##V_L##. The voltage across is proportional to the time derivative of the current as the acceleration is proportional to the rate of change of velocity. In the former case the constant of proportionality is ##-L## whereas in the latter case it is ##1##.

greg_rack said:
##\dots## voltage ##V=qC## "opposing" that of the EMF.
You really meant ##V=\dfrac{q}{C}##, didn't you?

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995

1. What is a resistor and how does it affect current flow in a DC circuit?

A resistor is an electronic component that resists the flow of electric current. In a DC circuit, it limits the amount of current that can pass through it, thus reducing the flow of electricity in the circuit.

2. How is the current flow through a resistor calculated in a DC circuit?

The current flow through a resistor in a DC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I = V/R.

3. What factors affect the current flow through a resistor in a DC circuit?

The current flow through a resistor in a DC circuit is primarily affected by the resistance of the resistor itself. Other factors that can influence current flow include the voltage of the circuit, the temperature of the resistor, and the presence of other components in the circuit.

4. How does the current flow through a resistor change when the resistance is increased or decreased?

When the resistance of a resistor in a DC circuit is increased, the current flow will decrease. Conversely, when the resistance is decreased, the current flow will increase. This is due to the inverse relationship between resistance and current flow.

5. What happens to the current flow through a resistor if the voltage in the circuit is changed?

If the voltage in a DC circuit is changed, the current flow through a resistor will also change. This is because the current flow is directly proportional to the voltage, according to Ohm's Law. As the voltage increases, the current flow will also increase, and vice versa.