Working out maximum height reached *thrown object*

In summary, to find the maximum height of a ball thrown straight up in the air with a speed of 9.7 m/s and no air resistance, use the equation v^2 - u^2 = 2as, where v is the final velocity (0 m/s), u is the initial velocity (9.7 m/s), a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s/s), and s is the distance covered. Solving for s, we get a maximum height of 4.8 m.
paulm1285

Homework Statement

A ball thrown straight up in the air at a speed of 9.7 m s-1
How to work out it's maximum height before falling to earth?

*No air resistance - gravity is 9.8 m s-2*

Homework Equations

No mass is given for the ball, so I'm a bit stuck with this.

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know where to start??! please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with your basic kinematic equations.

I have considered some, am I right in assuming initial volocity = 9.7 & final volocity = 0 (at the point when the ball begins to return to the ground?

where does 9.8 m s-2 come into this? Is it a really simple equation to deduce the balls maximum hight??

paulm1285 said:
I have considered some, am I right in assuming initial volocity = 9.7 & final volocity = 0 (at the point when the ball begins to return to the ground?

where does 9.8 m s-2 come into this? Is it a really simple equation to deduce the balls maximum hight??

9.8 m/s/s is the acceleration downwards due to the force of gravity. Where does it come into play? Well, if it didnt exist, then i don't think it would be possible to really define a maximum height as the ball would keep going upwards :smile:

You are correct about the speed being zero at the top.

Think about this law of motion:
[tex]
v^2 - u^2 = 2as
[/tex]
where v is the final velocity
u is the initial velocity
a is the acceleration
and s is the distance covered

danago said:
9.8 m/s/s is the acceleration downwards due to the force of gravity. Where does it come into play? Well, if it didnt exist, then i don't think it would be possible to really define a maximum height as the ball would keep going upwards :smile:

You are correct about the speed being zero at the top.

Could you possibly find it in yourself, say in the spirit of Christmas to 'accidentally' reveal the equation for working out maximum height?...In my defence, I need it to work out the final equation for a question..which I have worked out all by myself...

v2 - u2 = 2as

v = 0
u = 9.7 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s/s

-9.72 = 2*(-9.8)*s
s = 9.72/(2 * 9.8 )
s = 4.8 m

sanalsprasad said:
v2 - u2 = 2as

v = 0
u = 9.7 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s/s

-9.72 = 2*(-9.8)*s
s = 9.72/(2 * 9.8 )
s = 4.8 m

Thanks! Merry Christmas to you, I can sleep at night now!

Related to Working out maximum height reached *thrown object*

1. What factors affect the maximum height reached by a thrown object?

The maximum height reached by a thrown object is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. The higher the initial velocity and launch angle, the higher the object will go. Air resistance will slow down the object, while gravity will bring it back down to the ground.

2. How do you calculate the maximum height reached by a thrown object?

The maximum height reached by a thrown object can be calculated using the following formula: h = (v^2 * sin^2θ) / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. What is the optimal angle for maximum height when throwing an object?

The optimal angle for maximum height will depend on the initial velocity of the object. However, in general, a launch angle of 45 degrees will result in the highest maximum height for a given initial velocity.

4. How does air resistance affect the maximum height reached by a thrown object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, will decrease the maximum height reached by a thrown object. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down and reducing its maximum height. Objects with a larger surface area or irregular shapes will experience more air resistance.

5. Can the maximum height reached by a thrown object be greater than the initial height?

No, the maximum height reached by a thrown object cannot be greater than the initial height. This is because gravity will always pull the object back down to the ground. The maximum height reached will always be equal to or less than the initial height, depending on factors such as air resistance and launch angle.