Working Backwards from the GCD: Finding the Solution to a GCD Calculation

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the greatest common divisor (gcd) of 621 and 483 using the Euclidean algorithm. The gcd is found to be 69, but the person is unsure of how to find the solution from this point. They are given instructions to work backwards and use a formula to find the solution.
Math100
Homework Statement
Find a solution of 621m+483n=k, where k is the gcd of 621 and 483.
Relevant Equations
None.
First, we start to calculate the gcd(621, 483).
Applying the Euclidean algorithm produces:
621=1*483+138
483=3*138+69
138=2*69.
Thus gcd(621, 483)=69.

And now I'm stuck, because I don't know how to find the solution of this after finding out the gcd of 621 and 483. I was told to work/calculate backwards starting from 69, for example, like this:

69=483-(3*138)
?=?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start at the end:
\begin{align*}
138=2\cdot 69 & \Longrightarrow 483=3\cdot 138+69 =3\cdot(2\cdot 69)+69=7\cdot 69 \\
483=7\cdot 69 & \Longrightarrow 621=1\cdot 483 +138 = \ldots
\end{align*}

Last edited:
Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
Start at the end:
$$
138=2\cdot 69 \Longrightarrow 483=3\cdot 138+69 =3\cdot(2\cdot 69)+69=7\cdot 69
483=7\cdot 69 \Longrightarrow 621=1\cdot 483 +138 = \ldots
$$
Sorry, I don't understand this, as this was written in latex.

Math100 said:
Sorry, I don't understand this, as this was written in latex.
Now it renders. Refresh the page (F5).

Likes Math100
At the end, you can use ##4\cdot 7 - 3\cdot 9 =1## and multiply it with ##69.##

Likes Math100 and hutchphd
Thank you for the help.

Related to Working Backwards from the GCD: Finding the Solution to a GCD Calculation

1. How do I approach finding a solution to a problem?

The first step in finding a solution is to clearly define the problem and understand its scope. Then, gather all necessary information and data related to the problem. Next, brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate their feasibility. Finally, choose the most viable solution and create an action plan to implement it.

2. What resources can I use to help me find a solution?

There are many resources available to help you find a solution, such as books, articles, online forums, experts in the field, and experimentation. It is important to use a combination of resources to get a well-rounded understanding of the problem and potential solutions.

3. How can I ensure that my solution is effective?

To ensure the effectiveness of your solution, it is important to test it thoroughly. This can involve conducting experiments, gathering feedback from others, and analyzing the results. It is also important to consider potential limitations and make adjustments as needed.

4. How can I overcome obstacles when trying to find a solution?

Obstacles are a natural part of the problem-solving process. To overcome them, it is important to remain open-minded, flexible, and persistent. Don't be afraid to try new approaches or seek help from others. Remember that failure is also a valuable learning experience.

5. How do I know if I have found the best solution?

There is no one "best" solution to a problem, as it depends on various factors such as resources, time, and individual perspectives. However, a good solution should effectively address the problem, be feasible to implement, and have a positive impact. It is also important to continuously evaluate and improve upon the solution as needed.