Work of gravitational attraction based on height

In summary, the task is to find the work of gravitational attraction for a ball with a mass of 24 grams at different heights and angles of launch. There is also a need to determine the initial velocity of a ball launched at a 90 degree angle. Additional clarification is needed on whether the work should be calculated at the ball's maximum height or when it hits the ground. Possible equations to consider are those related to potential and kinetic energy.
aarop2

Homework Statement

i need to find the work of gravitational attraction based on heights of balls being shot into the air. the mass of the ball is 24 grams, the height is 27cm at 0 degrees, 38 at 30 degrees, 50 at 45 degrees, 61 at 60 degrees, 80 at 90 degrees.
i also need to find the initial velocity of a ball going up at a 90 degree angle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have absolutely no idea how to do this i don't need the answers but i do need to learn how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement is unclear. Do you want to find the work done by gravity when it reaches its max height? Or when it hits the ground? And if its max height is 27 cm when the gun is fired at 0 degrees, the gun must be positioned 27 cm above ground when it is fired.

You should also provide your thoughts on what equations may come into play.

Related to Work of gravitational attraction based on height

1. How does height affect gravitational attraction?

The higher an object is above the Earth's surface, the weaker the gravitational attraction between it and the Earth becomes. This is because the gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.

2. What is the formula for calculating gravitational attraction based on height?

The formula for gravitational attraction based on height is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravitational attraction, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. Why does an object weigh less at higher altitudes?

An object weighs less at higher altitudes because the Earth's gravitational pull on it decreases as it moves further away from the Earth's surface. This decrease in gravitational force results in a decrease in weight.

4. Does gravitational attraction change depending on the height of the object?

Yes, gravitational attraction changes depending on the height of the object. As an object moves further away from the Earth's surface, the gravitational force between it and the Earth decreases. However, for objects with larger masses, this change in gravitational attraction may be negligible.

5. How does gravitational attraction based on height differ from gravitational attraction based on mass?

Gravitational attraction based on height refers to the change in gravitational force as an object moves further away from the Earth's surface. On the other hand, gravitational attraction based on mass refers to the force of attraction between two objects with different masses. While both are related to gravity, they are different concepts and are calculated using different formulas.