Gravitational attraction of plumbline

In summary, the student is trying to model a swinging plumb by using equilibrium equations and assumes that the tension in the X direction is equal to the force of gravity from the truck.
TimSon

Homework Statement

By what angle, in seconds of arc, will a plumbline be pulled out of its normal vertical direction by the gravitation attraction of a 10-ton that parks 20 ft away? Do you think that this effect could be detected?

Homework Equations

I think (G*m1*m2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I first converted 10 tons to Newtons which i got to be around 88964 Newtons (from some conversion website).

then i divided 88964 by 9.8 to get 9077.96 kg for the truck.

20 ft becomes 6.096 meters.

Plugging this into the equation, I get

(G * (m(plumb) * 9077.96 kg))/(6.096 m)^2

I don't know how to find the mass of the plumbline.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TS,

Converting tons to new tons (sorry) isn't working properly. Dimensions don't match. In my region (I presume SI, but the ton doesn't fit in there) 1 ton is 1000 kg. What about your tons? Are they tonnes or tons (long, short, UK, US, himalaya, etc... -- only you can tell) ?

And you don't need the mass of the plumb. Write out a few equations that help you find the angle they are asking for. Who knows this mass might divide out...

The title of this thread does not conform to PF rules and guidelines. Please provide a new title.

Chet

Chet is right of course. Except for that and my advice in post #2, yet another tip: make a drawing! Or even two: one free body diagram for a plumb (i.e. ⊥) plumb and one where the plumb is attracted towards a parked truck. Exaggerate the angle (:wink:) and then work out the post#2 tip.

[edit] and I wonder why you do worry about the mass of the plumbline, but not about its length !? :rolleyes: Or am I making it worse now?)

Chestermiller said:
The title of this thread does not conform to PF rules and guidelines. Please provide a new title.
Fixed.

Mark44 said:
Fixed.
Thanks I did not know how to change the name of the thread. (I still don't despite attempting to look for the answer).

BvU said:
Chet is right of course. Except for that and my advice in post #2, yet another tip: make a drawing! Or even two: one free body diagram for a plumb (i.e. ⊥) plumb and one where the plumb is attracted towards a parked truck. Exaggerate the angle (:wink:) and then work out the post#2 tip.

[edit] and I wonder why you do worry about the mass of the plumbline, but not about its length !? :rolleyes: Or am I making it worse now?)

Thanks for all the help BvU.

I have been trying to model this like a pendulum, however I have been trying for sometime and it seems that I am doing something wrong.

Is this the right approach or is this completely wrong?

Furthermore, my thinking is that the Tension in the X direction (back towards the vertical) would be equal to the Force of Gravity from the truck.

Thanks,

I have been trying to model this like a pendulum
A swinging plumb is no good :smile: . Better look at the equilibrium situation. Easier.

Furthermore, my thinking is that the Tension in the X direction (back towards the vertical) would be equal to the Force of Gravity from the truck
looks good to me. Tension is force. Force is mass times acceleration. Plumb mass is the same in both cases-- that's why it cancels. Is that enough of a "hint" ?

Can you post your free body diagram ?

Here is a handdrawn version. I hope you can read it, but if not, please tell me. I then proceeded to have Tx = Fg. Thanks for the help
IMG_0003.jpg

Related to Gravitational attraction of plumbline

1. What is the "gravitational attraction of plumbline"?

The gravitational attraction of plumbline refers to the force of gravity acting on a plumbline, which is a vertical line suspended from a fixed point. This force is responsible for the plumbline's ability to align itself with the direction of gravity.

2. How does the gravitational attraction of plumbline work?

The gravitational attraction of plumbline works by the force of gravity pulling down on the mass of the plumbline. This causes the plumbline to align itself with the direction of gravity, which is towards the center of the Earth.

3. What factors affect the gravitational attraction of plumbline?

The gravitational attraction of plumbline is affected by the mass of the Earth, the distance between the plumbline and the Earth's center, and the angle at which the plumbline is suspended. The closer the plumbline is to the Earth's center and the more massive the Earth, the stronger the gravitational attraction will be.

4. How is the gravitational attraction of plumbline measured?

The gravitational attraction of plumbline can be measured using a plumb bob, which is a weight attached to the end of a string or wire. The plumb bob will align itself with the direction of gravity, allowing for the measurement of the gravitational attraction.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the gravitational attraction of plumbline?

Understanding the gravitational attraction of plumbline is important in fields such as surveying, construction, and geology. It can also be used to determine the shape of the Earth and to study the effects of gravity on objects. Additionally, the gravitational attraction of plumbline is a fundamental concept in the study of gravity and the laws of physics.