Work - Line Integral Homework: Calculating Work along C1 & C2 Curve

In summary: If you have a conservative force then it is true; this force happens to be conservative, but how would you show that?
portuguese

Homework Statement

I have exam tomorrow and there's a problem I don't know how to do.

Consider the curve C1 (x=-y^2+3y) and C2 (x=0), both defined for y[itex]\in[/itex][0,3].
Calculate the work done by F(x,y)=(x,y^2) along the curve C=C1UC2 (retrograde direction).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution given is 0. I really don't know how to get it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you traverse the curve do you wind up at your staring point? if so then the work is zero by definition, right?

jedishrfu said:
When you traverse the curve do you wind up at your staring point? if so then the work is zero by definition, right?

This is not true in general. (If you have a conservative force then it is true; this force happens to be conservative, but how would you show that?)

You could parametrize the two separate trajectories as some r(t)=(x(t),y(t))

Then use ∫f(r(t))*r'(t)dt on each curve.

How do I do it for C2? I think this is the biggest problem for me.

You need to show your work before you can receive help here.

portuguese said:
How do I do it for C2? I think this is the biggest problem for me.

Hint: Organize your work, write C2:, and then write notes for that region, like r(t)=(0,y(t)), F(x,y)=F(0,y)=... You'll have to decide on the rest of the parametrization for r(t) is, that is, what do you think y(t) should be. Decide on a and b in t=a...b. Et cetera; good luck!

jedishrfu said:

algebrat said:
This is not true in general. (If you have a conservative force then it is true; this force happens to be conservative, but how would you show that?)
As algebrat suggests, following on what jedishrfu said (hopefully jedishrfu had already noted, but forgot to say, that the force is conservative) the simplest way to do that is show that the force is conservative. portugese, do you know how to do that?

Related to Work - Line Integral Homework: Calculating Work along C1 & C2 Curve

1. What is a "line integral"?

A line integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the work done by a force along a specific curve or path. It takes into account the direction and magnitude of the force and the distance along the curve.

2. What is the purpose of calculating work along a curve?

The purpose of calculating work along a curve is to determine the amount of energy required to move an object from one point to another along a specific path. This is important in physics and engineering, as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

3. How is work along a curve calculated?

Work along a curve is calculated using a line integral, which involves breaking the curve into small segments and calculating the work done along each segment. The total work is then determined by adding up the work done along each segment.

4. What is the difference between C1 and C2 curves?

C1 and C2 are two different curves that can be used to calculate work along a specific path. C1 is a smooth, continuous curve, while C2 is a piecewise smooth curve with multiple segments. The calculation of work along C2 involves breaking the curve into smaller segments, while the calculation along C1 is done over the entire curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating work along a curve?

Calculating work along a curve has several real-world applications. For example, it can be used in engineering to determine the amount of energy needed to move a structure or machine along a specific path. It is also used in physics to calculate the work done by a force on an object in motion. Additionally, it is used in economics to understand the cost and efficiency of transportation systems.