Work-Energy Theorem with Line Integrals

In summary: Not exactly. But if v is a vector then d(v.v)/dt=2*(dv/dt).v. You'll have to put in the dot products where I omitted them.Ah, interesting, I can see where that would lead me. Thank you to the both of you :)
Vorde

Homework Statement

The problem is to prove the work-energy theorem: Work is change in kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

Line integral stuff, basic physics stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm given the normal definitions for acceleration, velocity and I'm given Newton's second law. I'm asked to show that ##\int_c{F \cdot dr}## leads to ##\frac{1}{2}mv(b)^2-\frac{1}{2}mv(a)^2## along an arbitrary path from a to b defined by ##\vec{r}##(t).

I'm stuck. I got to ##Work = m \int_c{ \frac{d \vec{v}}{d \vec{r}} \, \vec{v} \cdot \vec{v} \, dt}##, but I don't know how to proceed with that pesky dot product in the integrand, and without explicit functions to help me simplify, can anyone help?

Thanks a billion.I'll post my work if it seems like I'm going the wrong way, but I don't know where I would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
But without knowing an explicit formula for Force, how am I going to find a gradient field?Also, I don't know that my Force field will be conservative, so I can't assume there will be a gradient curve.

Vorde said:
But without knowing an explicit formula for Force, how am I going to find a gradient field?

Also, I don't know that my Force field will be conservative, so I can't assume there will be a gradient curve.

The statement of the result that you must prove makes me think that if a potential function [itex]\phi[/itex] exists, then [itex]\phi(c(t))=\frac{mv(t)^2}{2}[/itex]. Maybe you can use this as definition of your potential function??

Vorde said:
Also, I don't know that my Force field will be conservative, so I can't assume there will be a gradient curve.

It has to be conservative since the line integral will be the same regardless of the path you take.

Vorde said:
But without knowing an explicit formula for Force, how am I going to find a gradient field?

The force doesn't have to be conservative. It's still true. F=ma. a=dv/dt. v=dr/dt. So dr=v*dt. F*dr=m*(dv/dt)*(v*dt). Integrate it. You are making a great deal out of nothing.

Dick said:
The force doesn't have to be conservative. It's still true. F=ma. a=dv/dt. v=dr/dt. So dr=v*dt. F*dr=m*(dv/dt)*(v*dt). Integrate it. You are making a great deal out of nothing.

Listen to Dick and ignore my posts. I should have known better than to post in a thread that involves physics. :redface:

Dick said:

This is more or less what I wrote down, but can I get away with acting like those dot products are multiplications?

To Micro: Don't worry :)

Vorde said:
This is more or less what I wrote down, but can I get away with acting like those dot products are multiplications?

To Micro: Don't worry :)

Not exactly. But if v is a vector then d(v.v)/dt=2*(dv/dt).v. You'll have to put in the dot products where I omitted them.

Ah, interesting, I can see where that would lead me. Thank you to the both of you :)

Related to Work-Energy Theorem with Line Integrals

1. What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the amount of work done on an object will result in a change in its speed or direction.

2. What is the formula for the Work-Energy Theorem?

The formula for the Work-Energy Theorem is W = ΔKE = ½ mv2 - ½ mv02, where W is the work done, ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, v is the final velocity, and v0 is the initial velocity.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy in the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem shows that work and energy are directly related. The work done on an object will result in a change in its kinetic energy, and vice versa. This means that energy can be transferred from one form to another through work.

4. How is the Work-Energy Theorem calculated using line integrals?

The Work-Energy Theorem can be calculated using line integrals by considering the force acting on an object as it moves along a path. The line integral of the force over the path will give the work done, which can then be equated to the change in kinetic energy to apply the Work-Energy Theorem.

5. What are some practical applications of the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem has many practical applications, such as in calculating the work done by a car's engine to accelerate, the energy required to lift an object to a certain height, or the amount of force needed to push a heavy object. It is also used in understanding the motion of objects in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.