How Much Work Is Needed to Alter a Crate's Velocity?

In summary, when calculating the work done on an object, the direction of the initial and final velocities do not affect the calculation. Work is a scalar quantity and only the magnitude matters in its calculation.
jtc143

Homework Statement

A 34.0 kg crate is initially moving with a velocity that has magnitude 3.70 m/s in a direction 37.0 degrees west of north. How much work must be done on the crate to change its velocity to 6.08 m/s in a direction 63.0 degrees south of east?

Homework Equations

W=1/2mvf^2-1/2mvi^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this by breaking the velocities into their components and got -2.23m/s in the initial x, 2.95m/s in the initial y, 2.76m/s in the final x, and -5.42m/s in the final y. Then I did the work-energy theorem for both x and y components and got work in x direction to be 44.96J and work in the y direction to be 351.46J. Then I did the Pythagorean theorem to get work to be 354.32J But this is wrong, can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind I figured it out. The angles mean nothing and you just do the work energy theorem normally. However, I'm not sure WHY this is so; can anyone explain why the angles do not effect the question?

Work, like energy, is a scalar quantity, and as such, it has no direction, only magnitude, which may be a positive or negative value. In your first attempt when you broke up the velocity into its vector components, if you did the math correctly, you get the same answer as the correct answer, provided that when you get the two values of work you then add them up algebraically, not vectorially, that is, you don't use Pythagorus (there is no direction associated with work, so just add them up).

Related to How Much Work Is Needed to Alter a Crate's Velocity?

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, or the energy of motion.

2. How is the work-energy theorem related to Newton's laws?

The work-energy theorem is derived from Newton's laws of motion. It is a mathematical representation of the second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

3. Can the work-energy theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and oscillatory motion. This is because it is based on the fundamental principles of energy and force, which are applicable to all types of motion.

4. How is the work-energy theorem used in real-world applications?

The work-energy theorem is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity. It is used to calculate the amount of work needed to move an object, the amount of energy required to perform a task, and the efficiency of machines.

5. What are the limitations of the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem assumes that there are no non-conservative forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance. It also does not take into account the direction of motion, only the magnitude. Additionally, it only applies to point particles and cannot be used for systems of objects or objects with changing mass.