Finding Velocity of a System with Work and Energy

In summary: This equation works because we are treating the two blocks as one system. If you wanted to write an equation for just block 1, the equation would be:Epi1 + Eki1 + W1 = Epf1 + Ekf1In this case, you would only worry about the energy of block 1.I don't know if this helps. This is how I would look at it.In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 3.00 kg and a ball of mass 5.00 kg connected by a rope over a frictionless pulley. The coefficient of friction between the block and the surface is 0.400. The system begins at rest and the question asks for the
xTheLuckySe7en

Homework Statement

The coefficient of friction between the block of mass m1 = 3.00 kg and the surface shown is µk = 0.400. The system starts from rest. What is the speed of the ball of mass m2 = 5.00 kg when it has fallen a distance h = 1.50 m?
pulley_prob_3.png

Note that this is just a generic picture of how the problem is set up. M would be m1 and m would be m2 (the ball).

2. Homework Equations

W = F ⋅ Δr = F * r * cosΘ
Fk = µk * Fn, where Fk is the force due to kinetic friction and Fn is the normal force.
∑W = ΔK, where W is work and K is kinetic energy
Ki + Ui + W - Fkd = Kf + Uf, where K is kinetic energy, U is potential energy and Fkd is the work done by friction (non-isolated system)
K = (1/2)mv^2
U = mgh (or mgΔy)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I would like to mention that I do have access to the solution to the problem, and I believe I understand the general idea of how it works (treat both masses as a system, and then use the non-isolated system equation listed above with work set equal to zero and so on). Although, before looking at the solution I tried it myself (which turned out to be incorrect).
So, I started by stating that ∑W = Wt + Wk (Wt = work done by tension force and Wk = work done by friction), since the normal force and gravity are not doing any work here (m1 isn't moving vertically, so Δr = 0 in the y-direction).
I got Wt = (5.00kg)(9.80m/s^2)(1.50m)cos0 = 73.5J.
I found friction to be Fk = μk * Fn = (.400)(5.00kg)(9.80m/s^2) = 19.6N, since Fn = mg.
I then found Wk = (19.6N)(1.50m)cos180 = -19.6N
I found ΣW = Wt + Wk = 73.5J - 19.6J = 44.1J
I then used ΣW = ΔK. I know Ki is 0 since it states the system is initially at rest, so ΔK = Kf.
ΔK = (1/2)m1vf^2
Setting them equal to each other...
vf = √[(2*ΔK)/m1] = √[(2*44.1J)/(3.00kg)] = 5.42m/s

The actual answer is vf = 3.74m/s. Why does my attempt not work out to be the correct answer? I know the velocities of both masses are equal due to the tensile force between them and the frictionless (assumed) pulley. I tried thinking of it a different way to try to tell myself that it wasn't correct. I thought of a parallel force pulling m1 with the same force as m2g (49N), and then calculated the total work done and then relating it to the work-kinetic energy theorem to get my answer and it made sense in my head. I'm not understanding how the fact that it's a non-isolated system should get a different velocity than my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the blocks are accelerating, the tension is not equal to the weight of m2. If the tension was equal to the weight of m2, m2 would be in equilibrium and not accelerating at all.

Oh, okay. Thank you for that. I would then assume that we wouldn't really be able to find out the tensile force with Newton's Second Law because you would need something for the acceleration of one of the masses, correct?

xTheLuckySe7en said:
I then found Wk = (19.6N)(1.50m)cos180 = -19.6N
Check that equation.

Also, in calculating friction force, it looks like you used the wrong mass.

I generally lean towards solving these problems using free body diagrams, where you end up with 2 simultaneous equations. But if I look at this problem in terms of energy (which probably makes more sense), here is my understanding.

After the blocks have moved 1.5 meters, block 2 (5 kg) has a decreased potential energy, which can be calculated. In addition to that, both blocks have increased kinetic energy based on their final velocity (whatever it turns out to be). In addition to that, not all of the potential energy of block 2 was converted to kinetic energy; some of it was lost in the heat that was generated by the friction between block 1 and the surface. That's really all there is that I can see if you are looking at this as a system. The tension in the rope should not come into play. So if I had to write an equation for the system, I would write:

Epi + Eki + W = Epf + Ekf

Epi - Initial potential energy
Eki - Initial kinetic energy
W - Work added to system (in our problem W would be negative because it was energy leaving the system)
Epf - Final potential energy
Ekf - Final kinetic energy

Related to Finding Velocity of a System with Work and Energy

What is the definition of velocity in the context of work and energy?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In the context of work and energy, it refers to the rate of change of an object's position over time.

How can you find the velocity of a system using work and energy?

The velocity of a system can be found by using the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. By knowing the work done on the system and its initial and final kinetic energies, the velocity can be calculated.

What other factors besides work and energy can affect the velocity of a system?

Other factors that can affect the velocity of a system include the mass of the object, the presence of external forces, and the type of energy being transferred. Friction, air resistance, and other forms of energy loss can also impact the velocity of a system.

Can the velocity of a system be negative?

Yes, the velocity of a system can be negative. This indicates that the system is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. However, the magnitude of the velocity (the speed) will always be positive.

How does the velocity of a system affect its kinetic energy?

The velocity of a system directly affects its kinetic energy, as shown by the equation for kinetic energy: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. As the velocity increases, so does the kinetic energy, and vice versa. Therefore, changes in velocity can have a significant impact on the kinetic energy of a system.