How Fast Is the Skier Going Before She Lands?

In summary: No. We are only dealing (for now) with the part where she coasts down the hill.She coasts for a distance of 10.4 m before...
Parzival

Homework Statement

An extreme skier, starting from rest, coasts down a mountain that makes an angle of 25.0° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between her skis/snow is 0.200. She coasts for a distance of 10.4 m before coming to the edge of a cliff. Without slowing down, she skis off the cliff and lands downhill at a point whose vertical distance is 3.50 m below the edge. How fast is she going just before she lands?

Homework Equations

W = (F cos theta)*displacement
W = KEf - KE0

Kinetic friction = coefficient of kinetic friction * normal force

Weight = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried combining all of these, but i need the mass to do something. I simply can't figure out the final velocity with the information given.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look at the problem in three main segments.
1) Initial Point
2) Top of Cliff
3) Landing at Bottom

Remember that energy is conserved. At rest, the person has some potential energy and no kinetic energy. This total energy is equal to the total energy at point 2, and the total energy at point 3. What type of energy does the person have at point 2?

It may help you to sketch the problem.

Norfonz said:
You can look at the problem in three main segments.
1) Initial Point
2) Top of Cliff
3) Landing at Bottom

Remember that energy is conserved. At rest, the person has some potential energy and no kinetic energy. This total energy is equal to the total energy at point 2, and the total energy at point 3. What type of energy does the person have at point 2?

It may help you to sketch the problem.
Please clarify. I've been stumped by this for days...

Parzival said:
I tried combining all of these, but i need the mass to do something.
You'll find that the mass will simply drop out of your equations. You won't need a numerical value. Just call the mass 'm' and continue to set up your equations.

How does the total mechanical energy at the start compare to the total mechanical energy when she reaches the edge of the cliff?

Doc Al said:
You'll find that the mass will simply drop out of your equations. You won't need a numerical value. Just call the mass 'm' and continue to set up your equations.

How does the total mechanical energy at the start compare to the total mechanical energy when she reaches the edge of the cliff?

I can't use any other methods except the formulae given, unfortunately.

Parzival said:
I can't use any other methods except the formulae given, unfortunately.
No problem. Find the net force on the skier and compute the work done as she coasts.

Doc Al said:
No problem. Find the net force on the skier and compute the work done as she coasts.

But to do that, I need to find the mass of the skier. Can you show me specifically how to?

Parzival said:
But to do that, I need to find the mass of the skier. Can you show me specifically how to?

Can you show us the equations you formed?

Please... I have no clue what to do.

Parzival said:
But to do that, I need to find the mass of the skier.
No you don't. Don't try to find a numerical value, just express it symbolically.
Can you show me specifically how to?
What forces act on the skier?

Doc Al said:
No you don't. Don't try to find a numerical value, just express it symbolically.

What forces act on the skier?

The normal force, which is equal to mg cos 25° but is balanced out by gravity's y component;
gravity's x component, mg sin 25°;
friction: 0.200 * normal force

Parzival said:
The normal force, which is equal to mg cos 25° but is balanced out by gravity's y component;
gravity's x component, mg sin 25°;
friction: 0.200 * normal force
Excellent!

So what's the net force on the skier? Then you can use Wnet = ΔKE to find the speed at which she reaches the cliff edge.

Doc Al said:
Excellent!

So what's the net force on the skier? Then you can use Wnet = ΔKE to find the speed at which she reaches the cliff edge.

So the net force is (mg sin 25°) - friction
= (mg sin 25°) - (0.200 * mg cos 25°)

Parzival said:
So the net force is (mg sin 25°) - friction
= (mg sin 25°) - (0.200 * mg cos 25°)
Good. Now find the work done by that net force.

Doc Al said:
Good. Now find the work done by that net force.
sin 25° is around 0.423, and cos 25° is around 0.906, so:

F = 0.423mg - 0.200*0.906mg
= 0.423mg - 0.181mg
= 0.242 mg

Using W = (F cos θ)* displacement, this is what I get:

(0.242mg cos 0°)*displacement

= 0.242mg * displacement

But what is the displacement?

Parzival said:
But what is the displacement?
That was given in the problem statement.

Doc Al said:
That was given in the problem statement.

13.9 m?

Parzival said:
13.9 m?
No. We are only dealing (for now) with the part where she coasts down the hill.
Parzival said:
She coasts for a distance of 10.4 m before coming to the edge of a cliff.

Doc Al said:
No. We are only dealing (for now) with the part where she coasts down the hill.

So 10.4 m?

Parzival said:
So 10.4 m?
Yes.

Doc Al said:
Yes.
So:
W = 0.242mg * 10.4
= 2.52mg

W = KEf (since KE0 is 0)

2.52mg = 1/2m v^2
5.04g = v^2

5.04 * 9.80 = v^2

49.4 = v^2

v = 7.02 which is still wrong. I think that the displacement should equal 13.9 or something.

Parzival said:
So:
W = 0.242mg * 10.4
= 2.52mg

W = KEf (since KE0 is 0)

2.52mg = 1/2m v^2
5.04g = v^2

5.04 * 9.80 = v^2

49.4 = v^2

v = 7.02 which is still wrong.
Assuming you did your arithmetic correctly, what you have found is her speed when she leaves the edge of the cliff. That's not the final answer. You still have to include the effect of her falling from cliff to the final landing point. Keep going.

Doc Al said:
Assuming you did your arithmetic correctly, what you have found is her speed when she leaves the edge of the cliff. That's not the final answer. You still have to include the effect of her falling from cliff to the final landing point. Keep going.

So:

v^2 = v0^2 + 2ax

v0 = 7.02
a = 9.80 m/s^2
x = 3.50 m

v = sqrt(49.2 + 68.6)

= sqrt(118)

= 10.9 which is correct!

Good, but be careful!
Parzival said:
So:

v^2 = v0^2 + 2ax
This is true, but the reasoning should be from the W = ΔKE theorem, not from kinematics. That result is usually taught as a kinematic relationship for straight line motion--which this is not. The skier leaves the cliff at an angle.

Here's how you would get the same result using the work-energy theorem. Once she leaves the slope, she's in the air. The only force on her is gravity. And the work done by gravity as she falls is mgx, thus:
W = ΔKE
mgx = 1/2mv^2 - 1/2mv0^2
v^2 = v0^2 + 2gx

Related to How Fast Is the Skier Going Before She Lands?

1. What is Work-Energy Kinematics?

Work-Energy Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between work, energy, and motion of objects.

2. How does Work-Energy Kinematics apply to skiing?

In skiing, Work-Energy Kinematics helps us understand the forces and energy involved in the motion of a skier as they move down a slope.

3. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the context of skiing, this means that the work done by the skier's muscles and the forces acting on them is equal to the change in their kinetic energy as they ski down the slope.

4. How does the skier's mass affect their kinetic energy?

The skier's mass affects their kinetic energy through the equation K = 1/2mv^2, where K is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity. This means that a skier with a larger mass will have a higher kinetic energy than a skier with a smaller mass, assuming they are moving at the same velocity.

5. What factors affect the skier's work and energy while skiing?

The skier's work and energy are affected by factors such as their mass, the slope of the terrain, the friction between their skis and the ground, and any external forces such as wind or gravity. The type of snow and the skier's technique can also impact their work and energy while skiing.