How fast is the skier going just before she lands?

• Thread starter ussjt
  • Start date
In summary, an extreme skier starting from rest on a 25.0° incline with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.200 coasts for 13.4 m before reaching the edge of a cliff. Without slowing down, she lands 3.20 m below the edge. To find her speed just before landing, the formula for kinetic energy is used, taking into account the gravitational potential energy at the landing point and the skier's initial speed and height. The final speed is calculated to be 8.604756 m/s. The x-component of the velocity is needed to find the total velocity at the bottom, which can also be found using the principle of energy conservation.
ussjt
An extreme skier, starting from rest, coasts down a mountain that makes an angle 25.0° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between her skis and the snow is 0.200. She coasts for a distance of 13.4 m before coming to the edge of a cliff. Without slowing down, she skis off the cliff and lands downhill at a point whose vertical distance is 3.20 m below the edge. How fast is she going just before she lands?

W= Fn*13.4

Fn*13.4= .5mv^2

(mg sin25 - (.200)(mg cos25))(13.4)= .5mv^2

(g sin25 - (.200)(g cos25))(13.4)= .5v^2

((9.8) sin25 - (.200)((9.8) cos25))(13.4)= .5v^2

31.6949624131 = .5v^2

2(31.6949624131) = v^2

sqrt (63.3899248261) = v

7.96177899882 = v
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vy= 7.96177899882 (sin25)

Vy= 3.36479320085
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vy = sqrt (3.36479320085^2 + 2(-9.8)(-3.2))

Vy = 8.604756 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your calculations, but it looks like you calculated the y-component of the final velocity. What happened to the x-component?

Tip: No need to find components of the velocity; you can use energy conservation to find the final speed.

do I need the x? Because once it goes into free fall it is only accelerating in the y direction.

"you can use energy conservation to find the final speed"
I am confused by what you mean.

ussjt said:
do I need the x? Because once it goes into free fall it is only accelerating in the y direction.
You are correct that only the y-component will accelerate, but the x-component of the velocity is needed to find the total velocity at the bottom. (It's just [itex]v^2 = v_x^2 + v_y^2[/itex].)

"you can use energy conservation to find the final speed"
I am confused by what you mean.
At the point that the skier leaves the cliff, she has a speed (which you figured out) and thus a kinetic energy. She also has gravitational PE compared to her landing point. Energy is conserved as she falls. (Gravitational PE is converted to KE as she falls.)

Related to How fast is the skier going just before she lands?

1. Where did I go wrong in my experiment?

There could be several possible reasons for an unsuccessful experiment. It could be due to errors in the experimental design, incorrect measurements, faulty equipment, or inadequate sample size. It is important to carefully review the experimental procedure and data collected to identify where the error occurred.

2. Why did my hypothesis turn out to be incorrect?

Hypotheses are educated guesses based on prior knowledge and observations. It is common for a hypothesis to be incorrect, as the purpose of an experiment is to test and potentially disprove the hypothesis. If the hypothesis is proven incorrect, it means that new information has been discovered, which is a valuable outcome of the experiment.

3. How can I avoid making mistakes in my experiments?

To minimize errors in experiments, it is important to carefully plan and design the experimental procedure, use accurate and calibrated equipment, and follow proper measurement techniques. It is also helpful to have a peer review the experimental design and data collection process to identify any potential errors.

4. What should I do when my results do not match my expectations?

In science, unexpected results are not uncommon. It is important to carefully analyze the data and consider all possible explanations for the unexpected results. It may also be helpful to repeat the experiment or conduct additional tests to confirm the results.

5. How can I improve my experimental design for future experiments?

Learning from mistakes is an important part of the scientific process. After identifying where the experiment went wrong, it is important to make adjustments to the experimental design for future experiments. This can include modifying the procedure, using different methods, or changing the variables being tested.