Work done for stationary object

In summary, when pushing a brick and it moves, work is done and chemical energy in the body is transferred into kinetic energy of the brick, which is then transformed to heat energy. When pushing a wall and neither the brick nor the body moves, this does not mean no energy is being transferred - the body is still converting chemical energy into heat. The W=Fd formula does not necessarily mean no energy is being lost, as energy can also be lost in other ways besides work. Inefficient biological machines, like our bodies, expend energy even without pushing anything, as heat is constantly being produced.
MBBphys
Gold Member
Say I take a brick and push it and it moves, so work is done and chemical energy in my body is transferred into kinetic energy of the brick, which is then transformed to heat energy due to friction, so I have to keep pushing to transfer more of my chemical energy into kinetic energy of the brick. That I understand.

But say I am pushing a wall hard with my palm, and neither the brick nor I move; does this mean I am not losing any chemical energy and no energy is being transferred out of my body?
I.e. theoretically if I keep pushing the brick, I will lose the chemical energy store/lose mass, but then for the wall example, does the W=Fd formula mean I do not lose chemical energy/lose mass because the wall does not move?
But surely energy is expended when I push the wall?

I would much appreciate it if you could clarify this for me. Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Even though the work done on the object relates to the distance the force advances, muscles do work just in exerting a force. Muscles contract by setting up an electrostatic potential between cells. I would guess there is some leakage, so work has to be done just to maintain the potential.

MBBphys said:
I.e. theoretically if I keep pushing the brick, I will lose the chemical energy store/lose mass, but then for the wall example, does the W=Fd formula mean I do not lose chemical energy/lose mass because the wall does not move?

No, work is not the only way to lose energy.

MBBphys said:
But surely energy is expended when I push the wall?

You expend energy because you are an inefficient biological machine. A spring wedged between two walls would happily push on them without expending any energy. The water in a swimming pool pushes on the walls without expending energy either.

Likes MBBphys
MBBphys said:
But say I am pushing a wall hard with my palm, and neither the brick nor I move; does this mean I am not losing any chemical energy and no energy is being transferred out of my body?
Your body is converting chemical energy into heat all the time, even without you pushing anything.

don't you get hot..and maybe frustrated pushing against this wall?..Heat is a form of energy...frustration is not !

CWatters said:
You expend energy because you are an inefficient biological machine. A spring wedged between two walls would happily push on them without expending any energy. The water in a swimming pool pushes on the walls without expending energy either.
Your example made it very obvious; thanks a lot!

Related to Work done for stationary object

1. What is meant by "work done for stationary object"?

The term "work done for stationary object" refers to the amount of energy transferred to an object that is not moving. This can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. Can work be done on a stationary object?

Yes, work can be done on a stationary object. This occurs when a force is applied to the object, but the object does not move. In this case, no work is done on the object since there is no displacement.

3. Is there a difference between work done for stationary object and work done for a moving object?

Yes, there is a difference between work done for stationary object and work done for a moving object. Work done for a stationary object is zero since there is no displacement, while work done for a moving object can be calculated by multiplying the force by the distance the object moves.

4. Why is work done for a stationary object important?

Work done for a stationary object is important because it helps us understand the amount of energy transferred to an object, even if the object is not moving. This can be useful in situations where an object is being held in place by a force, such as a book on a table.

5. How can we calculate work done for a stationary object?

To calculate work done for a stationary object, we use the formula W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied to the object, and d is the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. However, since the object is not moving, the distance (d) is zero, so the work done is also zero.