Work and energy: conceptual doubt

In summary: However, the potential energy of the block will increase by the amount of its own mass multiplied by the gravitational force between it and the Earth.
Lalit Tolani
Suppose I am sliding a block very slowly on a rough surface. If the block has traveled ##d## distance then work done by me is ##W_1=\mu mg d## and that by friction is ##W_2=-\mu mg d##.

Now the energy transferred from me to block is ##\mu mgd## and that taken by friction from block is ##\mu mgd ##, The net energy of block remains same but the energy taken by friction evolves as heat and that is equal to my chemical energy consumed, so total energy of ##block + me## system remains constant.

Now If I pull a block of mass ##m## slowly towards up to a height ##h##, then work done by me is ##W_1=mgh## (assuming ##h## is much less than radius of earth) and that by gravity is ##W_2=-mgh##. Therefore ##mgh## goes from me to block and ##mgh## from block to earth, So here also energy of block doesn't change, then why do we say that potential energy of block increases.

I know I am lacking something here, as the total energy of the system would not be conserved if the block's energy doesn't change and my energy decreases.

Please help me in understanding where I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lalit Tolani said:
So here also energy of block doesn't change, then why do we say that potential energy of block increases.
The kinetic energy of the block doesn't change, since the net work done on it is zero. Note that there are two ways to talk about the work done by gravity in these sorts of situations: You can explicitly treat gravity as a force, calculating the work it does on the object. Or you can treat it by using gravitational potential energy. But what you cannot do is use both -- that would be counting gravity twice, in effect.

Lalit Tolani said:
So here also energy of block doesn't change, then why do we say that potential energy of block increases.
When you get a chance, try reading https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_04.html

Some of the problem here is that the English language is being used imprecisely; strictly speaking we don't have "potential eergy of the block", we have the potential energy of the entire system consisting of the Earth and the block.

Imagine that we've enclosed the whole shebang (earth, block, you, lifting mechanism) in a huge box. Now the total amount of energy inside the box will be conserved as long as we count an increase in potential energy as the block and the Earth are pulled apart.

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In other words, work is the transfer of energy to an object by applying a force over a distance.

2. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the transfer of energy to an object, and energy is the ability to do work. In other words, work is a measure of the energy transferred to an object.

3. What is the difference between work and power?

Work and power are both measures of energy, but they are related in different ways. Work is the transfer of energy, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, power is the amount of work done per unit of time.

4. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the motion of the object. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative because the energy is being taken away from the object rather than transferred to it.

5. How is kinetic energy related to work?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. It is related to work because work is required to change an object's kinetic energy. When work is done on an object, its kinetic energy increases, and when work is done by an object, its kinetic energy decreases.