Work done by Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field

In summary, the problem involves finding the work done by a three-dimensional inverse-square field, given by F(r) = 1/||r||^3 * r, on a particle that moves along a line segment from P(6,2,3) to Q(4,2,4). The relevant equations for solving this problem include the line integral ∫CF⋅dr = ∫ab f(h(t),g(t))||r'(t)||dt and the dot product F(r)⋅dr. The key challenge in solving this problem is finding a way to express the dot product F(r)⋅dr and integrating it along the given path.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Find the work done by the three-dimensional inverse-square field

## F(r) = \frac {1} {||r||^3} r ##

on a particle that moves along the line segment from P(6, 2, 3) to Q(4,2,4)

Homework Equations

## \int_C F \bullet dr = \int_a^b f(h(t), g(t)) \sqrt {(\frac {dx} {dt})^2 + (\frac {dy} {dt})^2} = \int_a^b f(h(t),g(t)) ||\vec r'(t)|| dt##

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot figure out where to start. I've been generally confused by line integrals the entire section. The only relationship I can see is with the 3rd equation I provided in the relevant equations where we have a magnitude ##||\vec r'(t)||##. But then what would be the function F? Is it the ##\frac {1} {||r||^3} r##? But that is a function of F(r), so I'm not sure how this changes the dynamics of the problem...? The most I could thing of would be along the lines of

## \int_C F \bullet dr = \int_a^b f(h(t),g(t)) ||\vec r'(t)|| dt##

## \int_C F \bullet dr = \int_a^b \frac {r} {||r||^3} ||\vec r'(t)|| dt ##

but now we have a function of r AND t inside this integral, but the integral is with respect to t, so could I just pull the function of r out?

## \int_C F \bullet dr = \frac {r} {||r||^3} \int_a^b ||\vec r'(t)|| dt ##

but then what is the function for r(t), I don't understand parameterization very well, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to make some kind of parametric substitution?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you do with the dot product ? In your first equation you pretend ##\vec F## and ##d\vec r## are collinear -- they are not !

And your ##
F(r) = \frac {1} {||r||^3} r## should be ##
\vec F(\vec r) = \frac {1} {||r||^3} \vec r## or
##
\vec F(\vec r) = \frac {1} {\vec r\cdot\vec r} \hat r##

BvU said:
What did you do with the dot product ? In your first equation you pretend ##\vec F## and ##d\vec r## are collinear -- they are not !

And your ##
F(r) = \frac {1} {||r||^3} r## should be ##
\vec F(\vec r) = \frac {1} {||r||^3} \vec r## or
##
\vec F(\vec r) = \frac {1} {\vec r\cdot\vec r} \hat r##

I'm not sure I follow. Since F is a function of r in this case, unlike it is usually a function re-parameterized, I'm not sure how to deal with F as a function of r, in general.

A force is a vector. Your inverse-square forces point away from the origin. So the force vector at position ##(x,y,z)## has a magnitude that only depends on ##|\vec r| = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}## but a direction that depends on each of x, y and z.

You path is from ##(6,2,3)## to ##(4,2,4)##. I could draw the path as a line segment in the plane ##y = 2##, but that doesn't help much. Your job (as I understand it *) is to find a way to express ##\vec F\cdot d\vec s## ( I use ##\vec s## for the path direction, to distinguish from the position vector ##\vec r##) and integrate.

*) there are other more indirect ways to calculate this work, but they depend on establishing that ##\vec F## is conservative and finding the corresponding potential field; my impression is that you are supposed to actually do the integral in this exercise.

Related to Work done by Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field

1. What is Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field?

Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field is a theoretical concept in physics that describes how the strength of a force decreases as the distance from its source increases in three-dimensional space. It follows the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

2. How is work done by Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field calculated?

The work done by Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement in the direction of the force. This can be represented mathematically as W = F · d, where W is the work done, F is the magnitude of the force, and d is the displacement.

3. What are some examples of Three Dimensional Inverse Square Fields?

Some examples of Three Dimensional Inverse Square Fields include gravitational fields, electric fields, and magnetic fields. These fields follow the inverse square law and have a strength that decreases as the distance from the source increases in three-dimensional space.

4. How does distance affect the work done by Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field?

The work done by Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field is directly affected by distance. As the distance between the objects increases, the strength of the force decreases, resulting in less work being done. This is due to the inverse square law, where the strength of the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

5. What are the practical applications of Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field?

Three Dimensional Inverse Square Field has many practical applications in various fields, such as astronomy, engineering, and physics. It helps us understand the behavior of forces in three-dimensional space and can be used to calculate the work done by these forces. This concept is also essential in understanding the movement of objects and the dynamics of systems in three-dimensional space.