Work done by monoatomic ideal gas

In summary: I don't know what 'nCv' is.One of the laws of thermodynamics is that energy is always conserved. Heat is energy in transit, isn't it?Yes, heat is energy in transit.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

The volume of 30.0 moles of a monoatomic ideal gas is reduced at a uniform rate from 0.616m3 to 0.308m3 in 2h. Its temperature is increased at a uniform rate from 27.0◦C to 450◦C. The gas passes through thermodynamic equilibrium states throughout.
(a) Write down explicitly how the temperature and the volume of the gas depend on time (in hours). Then find the dependence of T on V explicitly.
(b) Calculate the cumulative work done by the gas.
(c) Calculate the cumulative energy absorbed by the gas as heat.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a), pretty sure dV/dt = 0.154 and dT/dt = 211.5. If that's the case then making dt the subject and equation both gives
0.154 dT = 211.5 dV
b) I can't add together the work done in the volume change, then add work to change temperature, because of the path dependence of work. This is definitely an integral! Which I am really struggling to form...

Physics news on Phys.org
whatisreality said:
For part a), pretty sure dV/dt = 0.154 and dT/dt = 211.5. If that's the case then making dt the subject and equation both gives
0.154 dT = 211.5 dV

For part (a) your expressions look OK except for a couple of sign errors. Note that the volume is decreasing while T and t increase.
They want explicit expression for V as a function of t, T as a function of t, and T as a function of V. So, you will need to go further than writing expressions for dV/dt etc.

b) I can't add together the work done in the volume change, then add work to change temperature, because of the path dependence of work. This is definitely an integral! Which I am really struggling to form...

For part (b) you are right that you will need to set up an integral. Your result for part (a) should be helpful.

TSny said:
For part (a) your expressions look OK except for a couple of sign errors. Note that the volume is decreasing while T and t increase.
They want explicit expression for V as a function of t, T as a function of t, and T as a function of V. So, you will need to go further than writing expressions for dV/dt etc.
For part (b) you are right that you will need to set up an integral. Your result for part (a) should be helpful.
So I need to integrate my expressions for dV/dt and dT/dt? Which should be dV/dt = -0.154 and dT/dt = 211.5. An indefinite integral, would it be?

You can use indefinite integrals. You will then need to determine the arbitrary constants of integration.

TSny said:
You can use indefinite integrals. You will then need to determine the arbitrary constants of integration.
Right. So dV=-0.154 dt, integrate to get V=-0.154t+c, and v=0.616 when t=0.
So V= -0.154t+0.616
dT = 211.5dt , so T=211.5t+c. T=300.15K when t=0 (I assume I have to convert to kelvin), so
T = 211.5t + 300.15
Then rearrange these expressions to get the dependence of T on V.

Yep. Good.

TSny said:
Yep. Good.
The answer to part a, then, is
(T-300.15) / 211.5 = (0.616 - V) / 0.154

300.15 + 211.5*(0.616 - V) / 0.154 = T
Still not sure what to actually integrate though. Pressure is changing too, since it doesn't state otherwise. I was expecting to integrate pressure with respect to volume.

Use pV=nRT to find an expression for pressure in terms of volume maybe?

whatisreality said:
Use pV=nRT to find an expression for pressure in terms of volume maybe?
Yes. That's it. (Your expression for T as a function of V can be simplified.)

TSny said:
Yes. That's it. (Your expression for T as a function of V can be simplified.)
Simplifies to 1146.15 - 211.15V/0.154 = T. Sub in:
p = nR(1146.15 / V) - 211.5nR/0.154
And n=30, R=8.31, but I think that just makes it more complicated. So leaving them as n and R and integrating dV gives

W = 1146.15nR ln(V) - 211.5nRV/0.154 + c, but I can do a definite integral between V2 and V1

Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.
Which means work is -32926.85...
And I probably have to use that to work out the next part too. Is this one the first law of thermodynamics? I don't have internal energy so maybe not. And heat is Q=mc dT, but I don't know what c is because the question justs says 'an ideal gas'.
Some sort of conservation of energy equation... Heat is energy in transit, isn't it?

No, not energy conservation, not a closed system, heat is added.

I don't agree with your numerical answer for the work.

You should know how the internal energy of a monatomic ideal gas depends on T.

TSny said:
I don't agree with your numerical answer for the work.

You should know how the internal energy of a monatomic ideal gas depends on T.
I'm a little confused. I know the equation
change in internal energy = nCv dT, but Cv= 3R/2 is the heat capacity at constant volume... Except my textbook did a u-turn and says it applies whether volume is constant or not. So I can use that equation after all.

Right. Internal energy is a state function: U = nCvT.
ΔU is independent of path.

TSny said:
Right. Internal energy is a state function: U = nCvT.
ΔU is independent of path.
Oh! Ok, I remember that. And I don't agree with my previous numerical answer either... Now I have -92602.6448...
Since I can calculate the internal energy, Q = dU +W, so sub in T1 and T2 to work out dU. etc.

Yes. I agree with your new value for W. Sounds good!

TSny said:
Yes. I agree with your new value for W. Sounds good!
dU = 158180.85 and Q = 65578.2052. Provided I typed it in right!

Thank you for your time and help :) I was so confused!

OK. Of course, think about significant figures and units. Good Work!

Related to Work done by monoatomic ideal gas

1. What is work done by a monoatomic ideal gas?

The work done by a monoatomic ideal gas is the energy transferred to a system as a result of a force acting on the gas. It is measured in joules (J).

2. How is work done by a monoatomic ideal gas calculated?

The work done by a monoatomic ideal gas can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is work done, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume.

3. What is the relationship between work done and temperature for a monoatomic ideal gas?

According to the first law of thermodynamics, the work done by a monoatomic ideal gas is directly proportional to the change in temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the work done also increases.

4. Can the work done by a monoatomic ideal gas be negative?

Yes, the work done by a monoatomic ideal gas can be negative if the gas expands and the force is acting in the opposite direction. In this case, the gas is doing work on its surroundings.

5. How does the work done by a monoatomic ideal gas change when the gas undergoes a reversible process?

In a reversible process, the work done by a monoatomic ideal gas is equal to the area under the pressure-volume curve on a P-V diagram. This means that the work done is greater than in an irreversible process, where the area under the curve is smaller.