Work Done by Isothermal Expansion

In summary: It is not multiplication by 1 but multiplication by 1.0 atm. And the result should be in joules. So what is the numerical value at the end?
Calu

Homework Statement

A quantity of ideal gas (0.800mole) at a pressure of 10.0atm and 200K is allowed to
expand isothermally until it reaches a pressure of 1.00atm. Calculate the work done
if this expansion is carried out a) against a vacuum, b) against a constant external
pressure of 1.0atm and c) reversibly.

I'm not even sure where to start here. I've only calculated work done using dW = ∫ PdV. However, I'm not given an initial or final volume here, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is ideal gas. Given the amount of gas, the pressure and the temperature. What is the volume?

ehild said:
It is ideal gas. Given the amount of gas, the pressure and the temperature. What is the volume?
I see, I simply rearrange PV = nRT?

In which case, how does my calculation change between each of the above instances?

Calu said:
I see, I simply rearrange PV = nRT?

In which case, how does my calculation change between each of the above instances?
I do not see any calculations of yours. :)

ehild said:
I do not see any calculations of yours. :)

How would I go about calculating work when both the pressure and the volume change? I can integrate P.dV and put in the values for the initial and final volumes, but what value of pressure do I use?

Calu said:
How would I go about calculating work when both the pressure and the volume change? I can integrate P.dV and put in the values for the initial and final volumes, but what value of pressure do I use?
Pressure is only defined for reversible (quasi-static) process. In that case, you can express P from the ideal gas law.

In the other cases, you can calculate the work done on the gas by external forces.
What is the work done on the gas if there is no external force (when the gas expands into vacuum)?
What is the work done on the gas if the external pressure is constant (1.0 atm)?

ehild said:
Pressure is only defined for reversible (quasi-static) process. In that case, you can express P from the ideal gas law.

In the other cases, you can calculate the work done on the gas by external forces.
What is the work done on the gas if there is no external force (when the gas expands into vacuum)?
What is the work done on the gas if the external pressure is constant (1.0 atm)?

Okay, so in the reversible case I can substitute nRT ∫ 1/V .dV = nRT ln(V2-V1). I'm not sure how to work out the other two cases though.

What is the work done if no force is exerted?
What is the work done by the environment on the gas if the external pressure is 1.0 atm and the volume changes from V1 to V2?

ehild said:
What is the work done if no force is exerted?
What is the work done by the environment on the gas if the external pressure is 1.0 atm and the volume changes from V1 to V2?

Okay, so in the first case, I would say no work is being done on the gas, however the question just asks for the work done. Is the gas doing work on the surroundings in this case? In the second case I would say that the numerical value of work done is equivalent to the difference between the volumes.

Calu said:
Okay, so in the first case, I would say no work is being done on the gas, however the question just asks for the work done. Is the gas doing work on the surroundings in this case?
Is there anything to do work on if the gas expands freely?
Calu said:
In the second case I would say that the numerical value of work done is equivalent to the difference between the volumes.
It is the constant external pressure multiplied by the difference of volumes, and the external pressure is 1.0 atm,

Last edited:
ehild said:
Is there anything to do work on if the gas expands freely?

It is the constant external pressure multiplied by the difference of volumes, and the external pressure is 1.0 atm, so you are right...

In first case, I guess not. That makes sense. In the second case I apologise for omitting the multiplication by 1, its how I've been taught. I very really show multiplication by 1 in my working.

Calu said:
In first case, I guess not. That makes sense. In the second case I apologise for omitting the multiplication by 1, its how I've been taught. I very really show multiplication by 1 in my working.
It is not multiplication by 1 but multiplication by 1.0 atm. And the result should be in joules. So what is the numerical value at the end?

Related to Work Done by Isothermal Expansion

1. What is isothermal expansion?

Isothermal expansion is a process in thermodynamics in which a gas expands and does work while maintaining a constant temperature. This is achieved by transferring heat to or from the surroundings to maintain the temperature constant.

2. How is work done by isothermal expansion calculated?

The work done by isothermal expansion can be calculated using the equation W = nRTln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes of the gas, respectively.

3. What is the relationship between work and volume in isothermal expansion?

In isothermal expansion, the work done by a gas is directly proportional to the volume change. This means that as the volume of the gas increases, the work done also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can work be done during isothermal expansion if the pressure remains constant?

Yes, work can still be done during isothermal expansion even if the pressure remains constant. This is because the gas is still expanding and pushing against the surroundings, resulting in work being done.

5. How does isothermal expansion differ from adiabatic expansion?

The main difference between isothermal and adiabatic expansion is that isothermal expansion occurs at a constant temperature, while adiabatic expansion occurs without any heat transfer or exchange with the surroundings. This results in a change in temperature during adiabatic expansion, while the temperature remains constant during isothermal expansion.