Work done by a gas with only pressure and volume

In summary, an ideal diatomic gas undergoes an adiabatic compression with initial pressure of 1.20 atm and initial volume of 0.200 m^3. The final pressure is 2.40 atm. To find the work done by the gas, the equation W = -∫PdV can be used, with the initial conditions substituted for the constant term pV^γ and the given final pressure used to solve for V_f. Alternatively, the equation W = -ΔU = nCVΔT can be used, with nΔT being easily determined.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

An ideal diatomic gas undergoes an adiabatic compression. Its initial pressure and volume are 1.20 atm and 0.200 m^3 and its final pressure is 2.40 atm. How much work is done by the gas?

Homework Equations

[itex]W = -\int p \cdot dV[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So after integrating I got: [itex]W = -pV^{\gamma} \cdot \frac{{V_f}^{1 - \gamma} - {V_i}^{1 - \gamma}}{1 - \gamma}[/itex]

My first question: How do I know what [itex]pV^{\gamma}[/itex] is? Do I use the final pressure and volume for this constant term?

Second: How do I find [itex]V_f[/itex]? I don't see any equation I can use to solve for it using only final pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhizKid said:
My first question: How do I know what [itex]pV^{\gamma}[/itex] is? Do I use the final pressure and volume for this constant term?
You know the initial pressure and the initial volume. Why not use those?

PhizKid said:
Second: How do I find [itex]V_f[/itex]? I don't see any equation I can use to solve for it using only final pressure.
How about ##p V^\gamma = \mathrm{const.}##?

DrClaude said:
You know the initial pressure and the initial volume. Why not use those?
I wasn't sure if that was a valid substitution. How do you know you are allowed to use the initial conditions and not something else? Can I use either initial or final conditions (provided I know the final conditions) for that substitution?

DrClaude said:
How about ##p V^\gamma = \mathrm{const.}##?
Oh...is ##p_{i} V_{i}^{\gamma} = p_{f} V_{f}^{\gamma}##? Or are you implying something else? If ##p_{i} V_{i}^{\gamma} = p_{f} V_{f}^{\gamma}## is true, how do you know it's true? I don't see why we can assume the initial adiabatic pressure and volume conditions must equal the final ones.

Last edited:
PhizKid said:
I wasn't sure if that was a valid substitution. How do you know you are allowed to use the initial conditions and not something else? Can I use either initial or final conditions (provided I know the final conditions) for that substitution?

Oh...is ##p_{i} V_{i}^{\gamma} = p_{f} V_{f}^{\gamma}##? Or are you implying something else? If ##p_{i} V_{i}^{\gamma} = p_{f} V_{f}^{\gamma}## is true, how do you know it's true? I don't see why we can assume the initial adiabatic pressure and volume conditions must equal the final ones.
Both points I was making rest on the same idea: during an adiabatic process, ##V^\gamma p = \mathrm{const.}## ##\gamma## is not called the adiabatic exponent for nothing! You should find the proof for this in any thermodynamics textbook. The conclusion is that you can use the initial conditions as well as the final conditions in the equation for work, and the initial conditions you already have. Also, you can use ##p_{i} V_{i}^{\gamma} = p_{f} V_{f}^{\gamma}## to find ##V_f##.

Thank you very much DrClaude

PhizKid said:
... How much work is done by the gas?

Homework Equations

[itex]W = -\int p \cdot dV[/itex]
For work done BY the gas, W = ∫PdV. For work done ON the gas W = -∫PdV

You can also solve this problem by using W = -ΔU = nCVΔT (since Q = 0). You cannot determine ΔT or n but you can determine nΔT quite easily.

AM

Related to Work done by a gas with only pressure and volume

1. What is work done by a gas with only pressure and volume?

The work done by a gas with only pressure and volume is the product of the pressure and the change in volume of the gas. It is a measure of the energy transferred when the gas expands or compresses.

2. How is work done by a gas with only pressure and volume calculated?

The work done by a gas with only pressure and volume can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W represents work, P represents pressure, and ΔV represents the change in volume of the gas.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done by a gas with only pressure and volume?

The unit of measurement for work done by a gas with only pressure and volume is joules (J) in the SI system. It can also be measured in other units such as ergs or foot-pounds.

4. Can the work done by a gas with only pressure and volume be both positive and negative?

Yes, the work done by a gas with only pressure and volume can be both positive and negative. A positive value indicates work is being done on the gas (compression) and a negative value indicates work is being done by the gas (expansion).

5. How does work done by a gas with only pressure and volume relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The work done by a gas with only pressure and volume is a form of energy transfer, and therefore, it is related to the first law of thermodynamics.