Work and Power Homework problem

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving Tarzan swinging on a vine to reach Jane. The question asks for his speed just before reaching her and the person is struggling to find the answer using conservation of energy. They have tried different approaches but still need help.
Santorican
This question, I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Question: Tarzan, in one tree, sights Jane in another tree. He grabs the end of a vine with length 20 m that makes an angle of 45 degrees with the vertical, steps off his tree limb, and swings down and then up to Jane's open arms. When he arrives, his vine makes an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical.

Part A)
Calculate Tarzan's speed just before he reaches Jane. You can ignore air resistance and the mass of the vine.

I figured that I am going to have to use the work energy theorm, W=change in K and then break it down into smaller bits, but there is no mass and I have no idea what work is equal to so I am totally stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using conservation of energy. The vine does not actually do any work on Tarzan.

So by using Ue=Uk and breaking it down I can figure out the answer!? That is so beautifully simply!

Thank you

Okay so I tried using the conservation of energy Ue=Ke and then broke it down to mgh=(mv^2)/2 and then simplified to find velocity but this is where I am confused.

I tried using V=(2gh)^1/2 and it was wrong.

Then I tried to find the component of gravity at a 30 degree angle with respect to y and used V=(2(sin30g)h)^1/2 and it was wrong.

Then again with respect to x, don't have a clue at this point, V=(2g(cos30)h)^1/2 and it too was wrong.

So right now I am utterly completely lost. Please help :(

Well, for conservation of energy you need 4 quantities to set up the equation:
initial kinetic energy and initial potential energy
final kinetic energy and final potential energy

Related to Work and Power Homework problem

What is work?

Work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What is power?

Power is defined as the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is represented by the equation P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time.

How are work and power related?

Work and power are related in that work is the amount of energy transferred or work done, while power is the rate at which that work is done. In other words, power is a measure of how quickly or efficiently work is done.

What is the unit of measurement for work and power?

The unit of measurement for work is the joule (J), while the unit of measurement for power is the watt (W). Both units are derived from the basic units of mass, length, and time in the International System of Units (SI).

How do you calculate work and power?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. Power is calculated by dividing the work done by the time it takes to do the work. Both work and power can be calculated using basic algebraic equations.