Tarzan swings on vine, will it snap?

• Thread starter ewalker31438
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Tarzan who has a mass of 105.4 kg and is swinging on a vine with a maximum tension of 1700 N. The question is whether the vine will survive if Tarzan swings from an angle of 47.5 degrees from the vertical. The person asking for help has attempted a solution but it does not answer the posed question. They suggest making a force diagram and using relevant equations to solve the problem.
ewalker31438

Homework Statement

Tarzan has a mass of 105.4 kg and is swinging on a vine that has a maximum tension of 1700 N. Will the vine survive is Tarzan swings from an angle of 47.5 degrees from the vertical?

m=105.4 kg
T=1700 N
Angle of 47.5 degrees from vertical

Homework Equations

I would like to have my answer checked because I am not very confident. What role does the angle have in the question?

The Attempt at a Solution

1700 N/ 105.4 kg- 9.8 m/s^2=6.329032258

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ewalker31438,

Welcome to Physics Forums.Your relevant equations section contains no relevant equations. What equations from your notes or textbook might be pertinent to the type of problem at hand?

Your attempt at solution does not appear to answer the posed question: will the vine survive? What is it you were trying to calculate? Can you explain what you had in mind with the calculation you've done?

gneill said:
Hi ewalker31438,

Welcome to Physics Forums.Your relevant equations section contains no relevant equations. What equations from your notes or textbook might be pertinent to the type of problem at hand?

Your attempt at solution does not appear to answer the posed question: will the vine survive? What is it you were trying to calculate? Can you explain what you had in mind with the calculation you've done?
I think that the vine would survive, to answer the question. I was trying to calculate the maximum tension that the vine would have. I have looked through my textbook and notes and have not found anything relevant to answer this question. Should I make a force diagram and use equations from that to solve the question? I am completely lost.

ewalker31438 said:
I think that the vine would survive, to answer the question. I was trying to calculate the maximum tension that the vine would have. I have looked through my textbook and notes and have not found anything relevant to answer this question. Should I make a force diagram and use equations from that to solve the question? I am completely lost.
A diagram is always the best place to start. What type of motion is involved? Knowing that will help narrow down the sorts of equations to look for.

Related to Tarzan swings on vine, will it snap?

1. Can Tarzan really swing on vines like that?

While it may seem unrealistic, swinging on vines is actually a common form of locomotion for primates, including humans. It requires a combination of arm strength, balance, and coordination.

2. How strong are vines in real life?

The strength of vines varies depending on the type and thickness of the plant, as well as the age and health of the vine. Some vines, such as the liana vines found in the Amazon rainforest, can support the weight of a grown human.

3. Will the vine snap if Tarzan is too heavy?

It is possible for a vine to snap if the weight placed on it exceeds its strength. However, humans are relatively light compared to other animals that swing on vines, such as gorillas and orangutans. As long as the vine is healthy and thick enough, it should be able to support Tarzan's weight.

4. Can vines be used as a mode of transportation?

In some parts of the world, vines have been used as a form of transportation by indigenous people. However, this method is not very efficient or practical for long distances. Vines are more commonly used for short distances and for gathering food or other resources.

5. Why does Tarzan swing on vines instead of using his feet?

In the jungle, vines are often the only sturdy and accessible means of transportation between trees. It also allows Tarzan to move quickly and efficiently, without having to use his feet to navigate uneven terrain. Additionally, swinging on vines is a common form of locomotion for primates, so it comes naturally to Tarzan as a human raised in the jungle.