Words of wisdom from my college slide rule instructor:

In summary, a slide rule is a mechanical analog calculator used for performing mathematical calculations and was important in helping scientists and engineers make complex calculations quickly and accurately before the invention of electronic calculators. The words of wisdom shared by the college slide rule instructor included tips for using the slide rule effectively and emphasizing the importance of understanding underlying mathematical principles. Examples of these words of wisdom included "measure twice, cut once" and "never trust only one source of information." These lessons have had a lasting impact on the individual's scientific career, teaching them the value of accuracy, attention to detail, and not relying solely on technology.
KL7AJ
"A calculator is a thing that will give you the wrong answer to 15 decimal places."

Likes davenn and nsaspook
Physics news on Phys.org
Ha I like that.

Well technically, it will give you the right answer to 15 decimal places as long as you know what to make it do. After 15 decimal places, it will give you the wrong answer due to floating point errors.

Calculators don't have all the information that you do. If you divide 1 by 3. It doesn't know if you're giving it measurements or just numbers, so it's going to give you lots of decimal places.

Related to Words of wisdom from my college slide rule instructor:

1. What is a slide rule and why is it important?

A slide rule is a mechanical analog calculator used for performing mathematical calculations. It was commonly used before the invention of electronic calculators and is important because it helped scientists and engineers make complex calculations quickly and accurately.

2. How did your college slide rule instructor impart words of wisdom?

My college slide rule instructor would often share tips and tricks for using the slide rule effectively, as well as emphasizing the importance of understanding the underlying principles of mathematics rather than just relying on technology.

3. What were some common words of wisdom shared by your instructor?

Some common words of wisdom shared by my college slide rule instructor were "measure twice, cut once" which emphasized the importance of double-checking calculations for accuracy, and "practice makes perfect" which emphasized the need for practice and repetition in mastering the use of the slide rule.

4. Can you share any specific examples of words of wisdom from your instructor?

One specific example of a word of wisdom from my college slide rule instructor was "never trust only one source of information." This meant that it was important to cross-check calculations and not rely solely on the slide rule for accuracy.

5. How did your college slide rule instructor's words of wisdom impact your scientific career?

The words of wisdom from my college slide rule instructor taught me the importance of accuracy, attention to detail, and not becoming too reliant on technology. These principles have carried over into my scientific career and have helped me become a more thorough and precise scientist.