Word Problem: Application Of Linear Equations (Typo In Textbook?)

Re: Word problemIn summary, there is a difference between the two statements. The first statement can be represented by d = 5 * 2n, while the second statement can be represented by d = 2n + 5. The original problem may have a typo error as the results for the two statements are different.
NotaMathPerson
Is there a difference between the following statement

"The number of dimes is 5 times more than twice the number of nickels" and "The number of dimes is 5 more than twice number of nickels"?

The 5 times more... and the 5 more than... confuses me. Please clarify this for me. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Word problem

NotaMathPerson said:
"The number of dimes is 5 times more than twice the number of nickels"

d = 5 * 2n

NotaMathPerson said:
"The number of dimes is 5 more than twice number of nickels"

d = 2n + 5

greg1313 said:
d = 5 * 2n
d = 2n + 5

Hello the orginal problem where I get that statement from is this

The soda machine contains $3.00 in nickels and dimes. If the number of dimes is 5 times more than twice the number of nickels, how manay coins of each type are there?

When I used d=5*2n, I get a decimal number. But when I use d = 5+2n I get an exact answer. Do yout think the problem has typo error?

It certainly appears that way. My results are the same as the results you described.

Related to Word Problem: Application Of Linear Equations (Typo In Textbook?)

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation that represents a straight line on a graph. It is in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How do you solve a word problem using linear equations?

To solve a word problem using linear equations, first identify the variables and write them in terms of x and y. Then, write an equation that represents the relationship between the variables. Finally, solve for the unknown variable using algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination.

What is an application of linear equations?

Linear equations have many real-world applications, such as calculating distance, speed, and time in physics problems, predicting population growth in economics, and modeling the relationship between variables in scientific studies.

What should I do if I find a typo in a textbook's word problem about linear equations?

If you find a typo in a textbook's word problem about linear equations, you should first double check your work and make sure the error is not in your calculations. If the typo is confirmed, you can reach out to the publisher or author to inform them of the mistake. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor to clarify the problem and find the correct solution.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving word problems involving linear equations?

One common mistake when solving word problems involving linear equations is misinterpreting the given information. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Additionally, make sure to label the variables correctly and use the correct units for each variable. Lastly, always check your solution to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.