Word count in Latex using Winedt

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter NoobixCube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Count Latex
In summary, Texcount is a perl script that can be used to count words in a tex file, including text, headers, float captions, and math equations. It requires a perl interpreter and has various options available. Although its accuracy is not guaranteed, it may be a useful tool for word counting.
NoobixCube
hey does anyone know how to do a word count in PDF or Winedt?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NoobixCube,

NoobixCube said:
hey does anyone know how to do a word count in PDF or Winedt?

I know this is not what you asked, but have you tried texcount? I have not used it too much, so I have not used all the various options, but in default mode it gives the following information directly from your tex file:

words in text
words in headers
words in float captions
number of headers
number of floats
number of math inlines
number of math displayed

I cannot vouch for its accuracy, as I have never bothered to check the results.

You'll need to be able to run a perl script. I'm using windows, so I downloaded the first free perl interpreter I found, which happened to be activeperl.

Like I said, I know it's not exactly what you asked about, but you might find it useful.

http://folk.uio.no/einarro/Services/texcount.html
Yeah it works a treat, thanks a bunch!

Related to Word count in Latex using Winedt

1. How do I check the word count in Latex using Winedt?

To check the word count in Latex using Winedt, you can use the "Statistics" feature. This can be accessed by going to "Tools" in the menu bar, then selecting "Statistics". This will provide you with a breakdown of the word count in your document, including the number of words, characters, lines, and pages.

2. Can Winedt count words in specific sections or chapters?

Yes, Winedt has the ability to count words in specific sections or chapters of your document. To do this, you can use the "Statistics" feature and select the specific section or chapter you want to check the word count for. Alternatively, you can use the "Count" feature under the "Tools" menu and select the desired section or chapter to count.

3. How accurate is the word count in Winedt?

The word count in Winedt is generally considered to be accurate, but it may not be 100% precise. This is because it does not take into account any text within figures, tables, or equations. However, for most purposes, it provides a close estimation of the overall word count in your document.

4. Can Winedt count words in languages other than English?

Yes, Winedt can count words in languages other than English. It supports various languages, including French, German, Spanish, and many more. You can change the spell check and dictionary language under the "Edit" menu and select "Dictionary and Language". The word count will then reflect the language you have selected.

5. Is there a way to exclude specific words from the word count in Winedt?

Yes, you can exclude specific words from the word count in Winedt. This can be useful if you have words that you do not want to be included in the overall word count, such as headings or titles. To do this, you can use the "Statistics" feature and click on "Edit Filter". Here, you can add the words you want to exclude from the count.