Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check

• Thread starter Syrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, The conversation is about a potential mistake on the Wolfram website regarding spherical coordinates. The speaker questions the accuracy of the spherical unit vectors and asks for someone to double check. Another person chimes in, mentioning that there are multiple conventions for theta and phi in spherical coordinates and that mathworld explains which one they are using. The expert summarizer acknowledges this and asks for clarification on the listener's convention.
Syrus

Homework Statement

Folks, I think Wolfram has a mistake published here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

Their spherical unit vectors (for theta and phi) seem to be erroneous. Can someone double check this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Syrus said:

Homework Statement

Folks, I think Wolfram has a mistake published here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

Their spherical unit vectors (for theta and phi) seem to be erroneous. Can someone double check this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I doubt it's wrong. But there is more than one convention for what theta and phi mean in spherical coordinates. mathworld explains which one it's using. What's yours?

Related to Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check

What is a "Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check"?

A "Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check" is an error message that appears in Wolfram programming language when the unit vectors used in a spherical coordinate system do not meet the necessary conditions for calculation. This error typically occurs when the unit vectors are not orthogonal or have incorrect magnitudes.

How do I fix the "Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check"?

To fix the "Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check", you will need to check and correct the unit vectors used in the spherical coordinate system. Make sure that the unit vectors are orthogonal to each other and have the correct magnitudes. You may also need to check your code for any errors that may have caused the incorrect unit vectors.

What causes the "Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check"?

The "Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check" is caused by incorrect unit vectors used in a spherical coordinate system. This can be due to programming errors, incorrect input values, or incorrect mathematical calculations.

Is the "Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check" a common error?

The "Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check" is a common error in Wolfram programming language, especially when working with spherical coordinate systems. It is important to carefully check the unit vectors used in order to avoid this error.

Can I prevent the "Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check" from occurring?

Yes, you can prevent the "Wolfram Error - Spherical Unit Vectors Check" by carefully checking and ensuring that the unit vectors used in your spherical coordinate system are correct and meet the necessary conditions. Additionally, double-checking your code and input values can help prevent this error from occurring.