With what speed does the object get nearer to the reflection

In summary, the object will approach the reflection with a speed that is twice as big as the speed it approached the plain mirror, as the distance traveled and time taken to meet both are the same.
annalian

Homework Statement

An object gets closer to the plain mirror with a speed v. With which speed does it get closer to the reflection?

Homework Equations

l=v*t

The Attempt at a Solution

As l (length of road) is twice as big l2=2l1, but the time is equal t1=t2, then velocity should be two times bigger. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
annalian said:
As l (length of road) is twice as big l2=2l1, but the time is equal t1=t2, then velocity should be two times bigger. Am I right?

Your answer is correct but I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.

CWatters said:
Your answer is correct but I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.
Could you give me a hint about the correct one?

annalian said:
Could you give me a hint about the correct one?
You need to explain how you are defining t1 and t2. These are the times taken to do what? (I believe your reasoning is fine if you fill that in appropriately.)

haruspex said:
You need to explain how you are defining t1 and t2. These are the times taken to do what? (I believe your reasoning is fine if you fill that in appropriately.)
t1 is the time taken to meet the mirror, t2 i the time taken to meet the reflection. As the mirror and reflection are met in the same time t1=t2

annalian said:
t1 is the time taken to meet the mirror, t2 i the time taken to meet the reflection. As the mirror and reflection are met in the same time t1=t2
With that preamble, your answer looks good to me.

Likes annalian

Related to With what speed does the object get nearer to the reflection

1. What is the definition of speed?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving. It is usually represented as distance traveled per unit of time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

2. How is speed related to distance and time?

Speed is directly proportional to distance and inversely proportional to time. This means that the greater the distance an object travels in a given amount of time, the higher its speed will be. Similarly, the longer the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance, the lower its speed will be.

3. How is speed calculated?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes for the object to travel that distance. This can be expressed as the equation: speed = distance / time.

4. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. Average speed gives an overall picture of how fast an object is moving, while instantaneous speed shows the exact speed at a particular instant.

5. How does speed affect the distance an object travels?

The higher the speed of an object, the greater the distance it will travel in a given amount of time. This is because speed is directly proportional to distance, meaning that as speed increases, so does the distance traveled.