Shining light on a retreating object

In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment involving a reflective object moving past a lamp at a constant velocity. The lamp turns on and off at specific times, and the question is whether the durations of time for different events are equal or not. After applying relevant equations, it is determined that the durations are not equal and can be ordered as follows: tReflectionsStrike, tObjectReflects, tLampEmits. It is also noted that these durations may be different for a stationary object compared to an approaching one.
MackBlanch

Homework Statement

I came up with this thought experiment last night, but I'm not confident in my solution--mostly because I forgo the time values I thought would be necessary to complete it.

• A reflective object moves past a lamp at time T0 with constant (non-relativistic) velocity V.

• Some time later, at time time T1 the lamp turns on.

• The lamp turns off at time T2 when struck by the light reflected back by the object.

• The lamp stops being struck by reflected light at time T3.

Are the following durations of equal length? If not, then order them by length of duration:

1) The amount of time the lamp is 'on' (i.e. How long the lamp emits light): tLampEmits
2) The amount of time the object is reflecting (i.e. How long the object 'sees' the lamp): tObjectReflects
3) The amount of time the lamp gets struck by reflected light. (i.e. How long the lamp 'sees' the object): tReflectionsStrike

Homework Equations

'c' is defined as the speed of light.

Light will travel a distance D in time D/c.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first light ray emitted by the lamp will strike the object and be reflected when the object is some distance, D0, away. This first ray will then travel a total distance to and from the object of:

2 * D0

The final ray emitted by the lamp will travel some distance, D1, to and from the object for a total distance of:

2 * D1

Because the object is moving away from the lamp,

D0 < D1.​

The lamp is on for the amount of time it takes light to go to and from the object,

tLampEmits = 2 * D0 / c​

The object reflects from the time light first strikes it at distance D0 until light stops striking it at distance D1. During this time, light will travel a distance, D0, from the object to the lamp plus a distance, D1, from the lamp to the object (with no overlap as a condition in the question). That is,

tObjectReflects = (D0 + D1) / c​

The lamp will be struck by light for as long as it takes its final emission to travel to the object at D1, and back.

tReflectionsStrike = 2 * D1 / c​

So, the durations will be different, and since D1 > D0, ordered as follows:

{ tReflectionsStrike, tObjectReflects, tLampEmits }​

In prose:

The lamp will see the object for longer than it reflects, while the object will reflect for longer than the lamp is 'on'.

It seems reasonable then, that for a stationary object these durations are equal, while for an approaching object, the order is reversed.​

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct - at least as long as we can neglect relativistic effects for the object.

Related to Shining light on a retreating object

1. How does the speed of light affect the perception of a retreating object?

The speed of light does not change, regardless of the movement of the object. However, the perceived wavelength and frequency of the light emitted from the object will be affected by its motion, resulting in a phenomenon known as the Doppler effect.

2. Can we see objects that are moving away from us at the speed of light?

No, it is not possible for an object to move away from us at the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating. Therefore, it is impossible for an object to reach the speed of light.

3. How does the redshift of light provide evidence for the expansion of the universe?

The redshift of light is a result of the Doppler effect, which causes light from a retreating object to have a longer wavelength and lower frequency. This can be observed in the spectra of distant galaxies, providing evidence that the universe is expanding as the light from these galaxies is shifted towards the red end of the spectrum.

4. Can the speed of an object be accurately measured using the Doppler effect?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be used to accurately measure the speed of an object, as long as the distance between the object and the observer is known. The amount of redshift or blueshift in the wavelength of light can be used to calculate the velocity of the object.

5. How is the Doppler effect used in astronomy to study the movement of celestial objects?

The Doppler effect is used in astronomy to study the movement of celestial objects by analyzing the spectra of light emitted from these objects. By measuring the redshift or blueshift of the spectra, scientists can determine the velocity and direction of the object's motion, providing valuable information about the dynamics of our universe.