Winter Wonderland: Blizzard Video from Last Week

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, the video discusses the dangers of driving in winter weather conditions and how to avoid accidents. The video features a pickup truck driving down a hill and getting into an accident, which shows the importance of using caution when driving in winter conditions.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A video from the blizzard we had last week. My brother and I drove all night to get into town just that morning to sunny skies (we knew the storm was coming and didn't want to get caught at Raton Pass near the Colorado/New Mexico border). The storm managed to hit just in time for rush hour traffic.

Caution: strong language in video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5exATIaQiI

No one's heard of airing down? I think quite a few would have made it if they let some air of their tires to increase their static coefficient of friction. Once they start sliding and start using their kinetic coefficient of friction, though, you can forget it.

Watch the pickup and the Jeep coming up the hill at 1:25. They'll be baack! The guy in the blue car does a pretty nice job. He gets hit in the rear and knocked off line, but then manages to recover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thats an expensive car park.

Ah, yes. The "Icy death from above" type of snow. I'm familiar with it (although it's been years, since moving to California). I think some of you might have heard me discuss that on chat. Oh, the memories.

A word of advice for those who haven't grown up with such weather:

If you ever find yourself in such a situation, do not apply pressure to the brakes unless the car is under control. And even then, only apply the slightest pressure. And if the car starts sliding again *no more breaks*! (Which is also a reason why you want to drive slow in such weather in the first place. :smile:). Of course, sometimes, there's just nothing you can do, breaks or not. But if you want any hope of ever regaining control, let off the breaks! And of course if you have the foresight and opportunity to shift into neutral, that might just also save the day (that might have been the only recourse for those sliding backwards in the video).

The really scary thing is that here in Southern California, everybody gets into accidents just because of the rain. I imagine if it snowed here...god help us all ... god help us all.

[Edit: Or at least ease off the breaks until the sliding stops. But by no means push on the pedal harder! Guwaaa! :cry:]

Last edited:

Related to Winter Wonderland: Blizzard Video from Last Week

1. What caused the blizzard in the winter wonderland video?

The blizzard in the video was caused by a combination of factors, including low temperatures, strong winds, and a large amount of precipitation in the form of snow.

2. How common are blizzards in winter wonderland?

Blizzards are relatively common in winter wonderland regions, especially in areas with high elevations and/or near bodies of water. However, the severity and frequency of blizzards can vary from year to year.

3. What is the difference between a blizzard and a snowstorm?

A blizzard is a specific type of snowstorm that is characterized by strong winds, low temperatures, and reduced visibility due to blowing snow. A snowstorm is a broader term that simply refers to any significant amount of snowfall.

4. How does a blizzard form?

Blizzards typically form when a low-pressure system brings cold air and moisture from a body of water, such as a lake or ocean, and combines it with strong winds. These conditions can lead to heavy snowfall and blizzard conditions.

5. What precautions should be taken during a blizzard?

During a blizzard, it is important to stay indoors if possible and avoid driving or traveling unless absolutely necessary. If you must go outside, dress warmly and cover any exposed skin to avoid frostbite. It is also important to have emergency supplies on hand, such as food, water, and blankets.