Windows XP SP2 Freezing Problem: Solutions?

• Thread starter anantchowdhary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: It sounds like you might have to contact Microsoft for repair or replacement.In summary, when Windows XP SP2 starts after the welcome screen, it may freeze or the start bar may not work. If the problem persists, there might be high CPU or memory usage. There are various fixes that may work, such as reducing the number of programs that are started at startup or safe mode.
anantchowdhary
Whenever Windows XP SP2 starts after the welcome screen..it freezes.Or in a better way if we put down the mouse to the taskbar...the start menu duznt work.

Ive seen this on many machines running windows XP Sp2.Any solutions?

Thnx

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is it just as programs are loading when you log in or is it frozen permanently?

If it is just while programs are loading and you want your computer to be responsive faster, then you will need to reduce how many programs are running at startup (such as any messengers like Yahoo Instant Messenger, or OpenOffice starter, etc, etc). If the start bar freeze doesn't unfreeze no matter how long you wait, then a temporary fix (for each time you boot) would be to press CTRL + ALT + Del (to bring up Windows Task Manager) and end task the explorer.exe that is "not responding" (which is located in the "Processes" tab). The start menu and desktop icons should disappear and then come back again. If they don't, then in "Windows Task Manager," go to the "Applications" tab, click "New Task..." (located in the bottom right of the window), type in "explorer.exe" and hit "ok." Everything should pop up.

If it locks up again, then are there any other programs at 100% CPU usage? What about other programs at extremely high memory usage? (To check these, you have to be in the "Processes" tab) If too much memory is used, your computer will use your hard drive as RAM, which will cause an extreme amount of slowdown and could be causing these problems you are speaking about. (maybe some poorly done spyware or adware is eating up all your RAM.)

It's possible that this is a known problem with some people's setups and there might be a solution offered by Microsoft. After anyone installs Service Pack 2, there are millions of updates that need to be applied. After applying those, if the problem still exists, search the Microsoft database or maybe someone else here (or elsewhere) could help you.

Well, good luck. :)

Phil

Last edited:
Hey thanks.I had tried the explorer.exe remedy earlier too.Ive fixed the problem by removing a few startup applications

Hi I also had my share of problem with my sp2 but I was able to solve them thanks to a great tech support site. There are lots of solutions for different problems. I am sure you will find some answers there.

Here is the page for http://www.fixya.com/support/p156946-microsoft_windows_xp_professional_with"

Hope it helps

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, anyone who upgraded from XP Sp1 to Sp2 WILL have problems! Guaranteed!

I found out too late. :mad:

Following BoredNL's advice about making a new task; try typing "msconfig" to bring up the system configuration utility. From here you can choose what programs are loaded just after login. The "Startup" and "Services" tab will be of interest; make sure only needed tasks and processes are loaded at login time. If for some reason you can't make a new task that way; boot into safe mode-you hit F8 just before the windows xp boot time logo appears and select safe mode as the boot option.

On a side note, I've had a problem similar to the way you've described it. The only thing is that sometimes I can have a successful login and other times I can't. So when I do manage to login, I created a new admin account and used that to try and fix the problem (msconfig didn't work). I downloaded avast! virus scanner and ran it; it found hundreds of instances of win32.parite which was infecting all of the executables! Anyway, it cleaned up everything and I had to reinstall almost all my programs because win32.parite destroyed almost everything.

If you can't make a new admin account, just use the one that you made when you installed windows xp. At the login window hit ctrl-alt-del to bring up the old fashioned login window and type "administrator" as the username and enter whatever password you assigned to it when installing the operating system.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem when I installed SP2 from a CD I got with a copy of windows XP. When I reinstalled windows and downloaded the service pack instead it was fine.

1. What is the "Windows XP SP2 Freezing Problem" and why does it happen?

The "Windows XP SP2 Freezing Problem" refers to an issue where computers running the Windows XP operating system would freeze or become unresponsive after installing Service Pack 2 (SP2). This problem was caused by conflicts between SP2 and certain software or drivers on the computer.

2. How can I fix the freezing problem in Windows XP SP2?

There are several solutions to fix the freezing problem in Windows XP SP2. Some common solutions include updating drivers, disabling unnecessary startup programs, performing a clean boot, and uninstalling any incompatible software. It is also recommended to install the latest updates and patches for Windows XP SP2.

3. Are there any specific drivers or software that are known to cause the freezing problem?

Yes, there were some specific drivers and software that were known to cause conflicts with Windows XP SP2 and result in the freezing problem. These included certain antivirus programs, firewall software, and outdated drivers for hardware components such as graphics cards and network adapters.

4. Can I prevent the freezing problem from occurring in the first place?

While it is not possible to completely prevent the freezing problem from occurring, there are some steps you can take to minimize the risk. These include regularly updating your drivers and software, avoiding installing multiple security programs, and performing regular maintenance tasks such as disk cleanup and defragmentation.

5. Is it possible to downgrade from Windows XP SP2 to a previous version to avoid the freezing problem?

Yes, it is possible to downgrade from Windows XP SP2 to a previous version, such as SP1, to avoid the freezing problem. However, this is not recommended as it may leave your computer vulnerable to security threats and may not completely solve the issue. It is better to try the solutions mentioned above to fix the problem before considering downgrading.