Windows or Ubuntu for an Electric Engineering student?

In summary, Windows XP is unsupported, and Ubuntu is a good way to learn other operating systems. At my school, the EE department mostly uses XP, but I'm encouraged to use Ubuntu for robotics projects. It depends on what you want to do.
SuperMiguel
Im an Electric Engineers student and I am trying to decide to use Windows XP or Ubuntu.. Most of the programs i need will run in both if not wine will do...

What do you guys think?

System has a quadcore CPU, 2TB HD and 16gb of ram.. (I know kinda overkill but i got it for free)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Find out what your department uses and go from there?

You shouldn't use XP 'cause it's unsupported and ubuntu is a good way to learn other operating systems, but at least at my school the EE department mostly uses XP and I'm stuck encouraging ubuntu for robotics projects.

story645 said:
Find out what your department uses and go from there?

You shouldn't use XP 'cause it's unsupported and ubuntu is a good way to learn other operating systems, but at least at my school the EE department mostly uses XP and I'm stuck encouraging ubuntu for robotics projects.

they use windows xp :(

Why not dual boot?

zpconn said:
Why not dual boot?

i guess i could do that

SuperMiguel said:
i guess i could do that
Or use a vm since you've got enough gigs for it. Use the OS you want to stick with as the host and throw the experimental os on the vm.

Last edited:
story645 said:
Or use a vm since you've got enough gigs for it.

whats a better host for vms ubuntu or windows??

Ubuntu linux will be a smarter choose as for robotics and other hardware interfacing stuff … you will realize linux has tons of source code available …. and parallel or serial interface in linux systems is easier if you try ..that in windows … you have to go through elaborate NT kernel apis to do so .. or if you could use some libraries in VB.

But VB as such sucks for moderately complex setup … or where u want to use some functional programming language like Newton script or haskell and want to call some C libraries or vice versa. So use Linux it will save u lot of trouble and you can focus on the project instead of vast Interfaces to the operating system.

SuperMiguel said:
whats a better host for vms ubuntu or windows??

*shrugs* Depends on what you want to do. If you game a lot, you may want windows to be the host system 'cause I've heard of some issues with mouse response times in vms. I've also heard of some issues with hardware interfacing issues with vms, so you may just want to make the host system whichever one you expect to use more with hardware.

story645 said:
*shrugs* Depends on what you want to do. If you game a lot, you may want windows to be the host system 'cause I've heard of some issues with mouse response times in vms. I've also heard of some issues with hardware interfacing issues with vms, so you may just want to make the host system whichever one you expect to use more with hardware.

no gaming at all

+1 for dual booting.

bah ubuntu it is

Last edited:

Related to Windows or Ubuntu for an Electric Engineering student?

1. What is an "Electric Engineers student OS"?

An "Electric Engineers student OS" is an operating system specifically designed for students studying electrical engineering. It includes tools and features that are useful for learning and practicing electrical engineering concepts, such as circuit design and simulation software.

2. Can anyone use an "Electric Engineers student OS" or is it only for students?

While the operating system is designed with students in mind, anyone can use it. It may be particularly useful for individuals interested in learning about or working in the field of electrical engineering.

3. What are the benefits of using an "Electric Engineers student OS"?

Using an "Electric Engineers student OS" can provide a hands-on learning experience for students studying electrical engineering. It also includes tools and resources that can help with understanding and practicing concepts, as well as preparing for exams and projects.

4. Are there different versions of "Electric Engineers student OS" for different levels of education?

Yes, there are different versions of "Electric Engineers student OS" available for different levels of education, such as high school, undergraduate, and graduate students. Each version may have different tools and features tailored to the specific level of education.

5. Can I install "Electric Engineers student OS" on my personal computer?

Yes, you can install "Electric Engineers student OS" on your personal computer. However, it is important to check the minimum system requirements before installing to ensure that your computer can handle the operating system and its tools effectively.