Windows 10 made a brick out of my laptop

In summary, my laptop with Windows 10 failed about 2-3 weeks short of graduating from college. I had triple booted two linux distributions and Windows 10 and was using a Windows program yesterday when it failed. I was forced to use linux to try and mount the Windows partition and found that Secure Boot was enabled, which I had disabled months ago. I suspect the failure was due to an automatic Windows update.
What is upsetting about Win 10 is that I never asked for it nor approved the installation. Suddenly it was just there! I have always used the Google Chrome browser for years with many useful extensions. Every time I turn off my I7 quad core HP computer, I find upon rebooting that Win 10 has completely cleared Chrome from the Program Files. To use Chrome I have to use the Win 10 browser and re-download Chrome. Win 10 will not allow Chrome as the default browser in settings. I now leave my laptop in sleep mode and plugged into avoid this. How do I downgrade back to Win 7?? BTW, auto updates also erase Chrome as part of the update process.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened. The troll has been shown the door (this was not his only troll post).

Likes 1oldman2, jim hardy, Psinter and 1 other person
So what OS would turn a brick unto a laptop?

Likes ing_it and 1oldman2
cosmicthinker said:
Every time I turn off my I7 quad core HP computer, I find upon rebooting that Win 10 has completely cleared Chrome from the Program Files. To use Chrome I have to use the Win 10 browser and re-download Chrome. Win 10 will not allow Chrome as the default browser in settings. I now leave my laptop in sleep mode and plugged into avoid this. How do I downgrade back to Win 7?? BTW, auto updates also erase Chrome as part of the update process.

I have an HP with Win10 too and this just isn't happening to me. :O

@fluidistic I still think that you're being a wee bit harsh on Windows. If it was so bad, then so many people would not being using it. My parent works at a government agency where very confidential documents and information are handled. They use Windows and everything's always fine. Just because you had some problems, doesn't mean that every PC with Windows OS has the same issues.

I tried Ten twice. Once for several days. It frustrated me because it changed how i get to stuff like my pictures - and i have no patience with overautomated ingratiating machines that do things i did not tell them to do.
So i went back to 7 both times.
Third time Ten installed itself without asking , but by clicking the "go back to 7" button it gracefully uninstalled itself even to the point of opening same Internet windows i'd had open when it hijacked me. I gave Microsoft's feedback survey an attaboy for that but told them in no uncertain terms ".. if i wanted an Apple clone i'd buy one. Don't take over my computer and Never ever again move my cheese."

Son has Ten and says he found buttons during installation to keep it from moving his cheese. I didn't notice anything like that.
I was however tipped off to the buttons that keep Ten from reporting everything you do to Microsoft and from stashing your stuff on the "Cloud".
I've heard Ten called a huge Trojan. Horse or prophylactic?

I just didn't like it. But old folks don't handle drastic change so well

Likes krater, Tom.G, ing_it and 3 others
my win10 new computer does not work with diablo cam-will not recognize it and will not accept driver for it !

ProfuselyQuarky said:
@fluidistic I still think that you're being a wee bit harsh on Windows. If it was so bad, then so many people would not being using it. My parent works at a government agency where very confidential documents and information are handled. They use Windows and everything's always fine. Just because you had some problems, doesn't mean that every PC with Windows OS has the same issues.
I am fully aware I am a case in a million or even unluckier. I use Windows in less than 1% of the time, and when I use it it's just for running 1 program (okay, add firefox to this, but only wikipedia/PF and some other "secure" websites.). But I am not being harsh at all. A compagny should not be able to realize deep changes in the system without my approvement (though I probably clicked on a button that approved to give my full hardware handling to Microsoft Windows in order to being able to use MW). I understand that most people use more common hardware with better known brands and that Windows updates don't break their computers.
Anyway today I got the verdict, the guy who knows how to fix computers couldn't find any hardware problem. He doesn't know what's wrong and he said that I'm unlucky that the brand which made the laptop exists only here (in a single country), which is a problem if I want to change say the motherboard. The warranty is off by a few months so it's over, I'm not going to fight to "save" this laptop even though it took me a full year to pay it (over 800 dollars for a core i3 3rd gen. 3217u, I am unlucky to live in a country where the hardware is one of the most expensive on Earth).
I got my degree 2 days ago, and that's all what matters to me.
So long Windows, so long to my laptop.

Likes 1oldman2
fluidistic said:
Anyway today I got the verdict, the guy who knows how to fix computers couldn't find any hardware problem. He doesn't know what's wrong and he said that I'm unlucky that the brand which made the laptop exists only here (in a single country), which is a problem if I want to change say the motherboard. The warranty is off by a few months so it's over, I'm not going to fight to "save" this laptop even though it took me a full year to pay it (over 800 dollars for a core i3 3rd gen. 3217u, I am unlucky to live in a country where the hardware is one of the most expensive on Earth).
I got my degree 2 days ago, and that's all what matters to me.
So long Windows, so long to my laptop.
Sorry ‘bout that :frown: What country do you live in and what brand is the laptop, out of curiosity?

Likes 1oldman2
jim hardy said:
Son has Ten and says he found buttons during installation to keep it from moving his cheese. I didn't notice anything like that.
I was however tipped off to the buttons that keep Ten from reporting everything you do to Microsoft and from stashing your stuff on the "Cloud".
I've heard Ten called a huge Trojan. Horse or prophylactic?

I just didn't like it. But old folks don't handle drastic change so well
If that's not enough, MS is releasing an army of "bots" in the system to "help us".

For anyone who has had enough of Microsoft especially due to the Windows 10 "upgrade" I would strongly suggest surfing on over to download your favourite version of Linux (I like Ubuntu). They're basically all GUI's now and very friendly as well (Ubuntu actually has 2 GUI's to choose from several versions - just go there.). Many even offer a 'live CD (USB)' version, which allows you to try out the version you have downloaded before installing it. Then if you decide this version is for you - for example; all the drivers, etc work out fine with your model and make of computer - you can go ahead and install it.
There's a slight learning curve but remember the alternative.

ebos said:
For anyone who has had enough of Microsoft especially due to the Windows 10 "upgrade" I would strongly suggest surfing on over to download your favourite version of Linux (I like Ubuntu). They're basically all GUI's now and very friendly as well (Ubuntu actually has 2 GUI's to choose from several versions - just go there.). Many even offer a 'live CD (USB)' version, which allows you to try out the version you have downloaded before installing it. Then if you decide this version is for you - for example; all the drivers, etc work out fine with your model and make of computer - you can go ahead and install it.
There's a slight learning curve but remember the alternative.
Forgot to add: there's also an easy-as-pie dual boot alternative so you can continue to use Windows if you still want until you get proficient.

If I understand this correctly, the "bricked laptop" has suffered a MBR corruption. there are several BIOS Boot loaders controlled by the MBR that make it possible to boot multiple operating systems. The BIOS Boot Loaders may be intact but with an MBR corruption the the computer can not select which Boot Loader to use so it sits an does nothing. Low BIOS core can not be touched by any program, if so equipped, because it is flashed by higher voltages usually 28V at the factory. There is usually a nondescript pin or pad next to the BIOS ROM for this. If this was the problem your laptop is, indeed, toast. The higher BIOS Flash ROM could have been corrupted by Windows 10, but that is unlikely, it would require a BIOS loader specific to your main-board. If this happened you might be able to recover by getting a BIOS loader with an BIOS upgrade that would have to come from the company that you got your laptop from, as all BIOS Loaders are propitiatory. Finally there is the volatile BIOS RAM or CMOS, an easy fix, just remove the BIOS/CMOS battery which will erase any corruption. Give it a few seconds though, about 10 or 15 seconds should do the trick. If the MBR is corrupted the only thing you can do is, install your drive in another computer as a slave, or use an exterior drive/USB interface. If it is PATA you will need an adapter if SATA you should be able to plug it into any SATA cable. If the FAT or NTFS is intact recover as many files as possible. Zero the drive, reformat, reinstall the MBR with the appropriate BIOS Boot loader that is compatible for the operating system you wish to install.

Your results may vary.

Eimacman

Last edited:
Likes fluidistic
jim hardy said:
... i have no patience with overautomated ingratiating machines that do things i did not tell them to do.
Boy, howdy, +1 on that. Plus several actually since it annoys me enough to cover annoyance for at least twins if not triplets.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, ing_it and jim hardy
There is nothing more aggravating than an op system that does not fallow your commands, and puts features in that you do not want or need, that you can not disable, or changes the BIOS in any way. If any thing is going to tweak my firmware it is going to be Dell and not Microsoft.

Eimacman

Likes ing_it and jim hardy
amusing to read someone say he was told even windows 10 is better than a mac. i have been a mac user since 1987 and for most of that time could count the number of crashes on one hand, most of them with microsoft word, the company responsible for windows. my son the tech expert told me years ago windows is just a clunky version of the mac. i have been listening to microsoft users crying the blues for literally decades, all the while cruising with an easy mac computer interface. but to each his own. I am still using my 10 year old macbook that still does what I want, in spite of being outdated in many ways. Forgive me, I am not gloating, just puzzled at the post disparaging the (to me obviously) better system. Good luck with the problem.

I thought DOS was jut fine ..

For those who are interested, Microsoft has a page describing how to 'manage' Windows 10 notification and upgrade options. It has several options for disabling the attempts to auto-install the software through the updater. I chose the registry option. I'll see how well it works the next time that I check for updates.
To block the upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update, specify the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

Likes Tom.G and 1oldman2
Borg said:
For those who are interested, Microsoft has a page describing how to 'manage' Windows 10 notification and upgrade options. It has several options for disabling the attempts to auto-install the software through the updater. I chose the registry option. I'll see how well it works the next time that I check for updates.
doesn't work for my Windows 7; regedit can't find the specified subkey and they moronically don't say where to look for it manually.

Last edited:
phinds said:
doesn't work for my (Window 7). Regedit can't find the specified subkey and they moronically don't say where to look for it manually.
You have to create it yourself. Go to the specified directory and in the right side window, right-click and select new DWord. Create it with the specified values.
BTW, HKLM is short for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Another DWord that I added years ago to that directory is NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers. Guess what that does. :oldwink:

Last edited:
Borg said:
You have to create it yourself. Go to the specified directory and in the right side window, right-click and select new DWord. Create it with the specified values.
BTW, HKLM is short for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Aha. Didn't realize that. Thanks.

Regedit gets me as far as HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows but there is no WindowsUpdate. Am I supposed to create that and then create a key inside it? I've almost never done registry edits and none for a very long time.

phinds said:
Regedit gets me as far as HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows but there is no WindowsUpdate. Am I supposed to create that and then create a key inside it?
Yes. I've got 3 entries in the WindowsUpdate folder and they are all ones that I added. It's been so long that I forgot.
phinds said:
I've almost never done registry edits and none for a very long time.
As long as you're just making an addition, you should be fine.

Borg said:
Yes. I've got 3 entries in the WindowsUpdate folder and they are all ones that I added. It's been so long that I forgot.

As long as you're just making an addition, you should be fine.
OK, thanks. I put it in and I'll see if it works next time I reboot.

Borg said:

Is there a page that explains how to disable sending back data? In regedit i mean, i think i disabled everything in control panel as it is.

Thanks for any answers

Rocco the Stiff said:
Is there a page that explains how to disable sending back data? In regedit i mean, i think i disabled everything in control panel as it is.

Thanks for any answers
Here is one article on the subject, telemetry control on 10 is a very popular subject a quick search will reveal much more.
http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/control-telemetry-information-windows-10

@Borg it didn't work. Waaaa. I want that $&#*@&!%^ Windows 10 Update GONE, but no joy on this method.

Likes 1oldman2
phinds said:
@Borg it didn't work. Waaaa. I want that $&#*@&!%^ Windows 10 Update GONE, but no joy on this method.
Ditto

phinds said:
Are you talking about the update to windows 10 icon in the system tray? I got rid of mine last year by uninstalling update KB3035583. However, to prevent it from coming back I had to switch my windows update from auto to manual. Now when I get a new list of updates I uncheck all updates except for the security updates. I don't know if it's true, but I've read (from unreliable sources) that MS will try and sneak the windows 10 stuff in with the other updates. So if that's true then just uninstalling that one may not work now.

Likes jim hardy
TurtleMeister said:
I got rid of mine last year by uninstalling update KB3035583.

I've been searching for hours for that number. It worked for me with Win7

'windows updates' at very bottom of control panel has a 'change settings' button where i selected 'let me choose'...
But Win10 is lurking there just waiting for me to make one wrong click . Proverbial wolf in mouse's clothing...

Last edited:
TurtleMeister said:
Are you talking about the update to windows 10 icon in the system tray? I got rid of mine last year by uninstalling update KB3035583. However, to prevent it from coming back I had to switch my windows update from auto to manual. Now when I get a new list of updates I uncheck all updates except for the security updates. I don't know if it's true, but I've read (from unreliable sources) that MS will try and sneak the windows 10 stuff in with the other updates. So if that's true then just uninstalling that one may not work now.

see posts #111 and #116 in the thread "discussions on win10" They are particularly relative to what your speaking of here. (Don has a great point with the GWX control panel) :smile:

jim hardy said:
Win10 is lurking there just waiting for me to make one wrong click . Proverbial wolf in mouse's clothing...
This is a very accurate description in my experience, "lurking wolves". Win10 has a lot of surprises in store for you when you get looking closer, A good start would be don't link 10 to a windows account rather the "Local account" is the way to go or the lids off your cookie jar from the very start. It would be a good plan to spend a little time searching "win10 telemetry control" before setting up 10 after installing it.

1oldman2 said:
This is a very accurate description in my experience, "lurking wolves". Win10 has a lot of surprises in store for you when you get looking closer, A good start would be don't link 10 to a windows account rather the "Local account" is the way to go or the lids off your cookie jar from the very start. It would be a good plan to spend a little time searching "win10 telemetry control" before setting up 10 after installing it.
Better still would be just stick with Window 7 :smile:

phinds said:
Sorry to hear that. I will see what my home computer does when I am on it next.