Will you check my solution to a relations question.

• Thread starter Hodgey8806
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, the conversation discusses composing the relations "equality" and "less than" into the form "equal o less than." Graphically, this is represented by the values below y=x, and the composite relationship is simply "less than." The person confirms that the 'equality' relation is an identity under composition.
Hodgey8806

Homework Statement

I want to compose the relation "equality" with the relation "less than" in the form:
equal o less than.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I determine the y in (x,y) such that this is true. Graphically, it is just the values less below y=x.

Next I apply the relation of equality, and I see that the z's in (y,z) are just the same values. So the composite relationship is just "less than".--graphically the same image.

Is this correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hodgey8806 said:

Homework Statement

I want to compose the relation "equality" with the relation "less than" in the form:
equal o less than.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I determine the y in (x,y) such that this is true. Graphically, it is just the values less below y=x.

Next I apply the relation of equality, and I see that the z's in (y,z) are just the same values. So the composite relationship is just "less than".--graphically the same image.

Is this correct? Thanks!

That sounds right. The 'equality' relation is an identity under composition, yes?

Yes it is. Thank you for your help :)

Related to Will you check my solution to a relations question.

1. What is your background in relation problems?

As a scientist, I have a strong background in mathematics, specifically in the area of relations. I have studied and solved various types of relation problems in my academic and professional career.

2. Can you provide feedback on my solution to a relation question?

Yes, I am more than happy to provide feedback on your solution to a relation question. I can offer suggestions for improvement or point out any errors in your approach.

3. How do you approach solving a relation problem?

I typically start by carefully reading and understanding the given problem, and then breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Next, I use logical reasoning and my knowledge of mathematical concepts to come up with a solution. I always double-check my work to ensure accuracy.

4. Will you explain the steps in your solution to a relation question?

Absolutely! I believe understanding the steps and thought process behind a solution is crucial in learning and improving in mathematics. I am more than willing to explain my approach and answer any questions you may have.

5. Are you able to check my solution to a question from a specific source or textbook?

Yes, I am familiar with various sources and textbooks commonly used for relation problems. However, if I am not familiar with a specific source, I may need some time to familiarize myself with it before checking your solution.